Question about esoteric resistors: Tantalum, Riken Ohm, Holco, etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently come across some information about resistors like tantalum, riken ohm, holco, and a few others. The claims seem to indicate that some of these may be better choices than more cheaply available "regular" metal film resistors. It seems that the Tantalum and Riken Ohm resistors are used primarily with tube gear due to their "warm" sound, but I was wondering about the application for Class A solid state amps as well.

In particular, the Pass Labs Aleph series is typically considered to be somewhat "tube like" in certain respects. Is there any merit to using Tantalums or Riken Ohm for an Aleph design? Or any other design for that matter?

The Tantalums seem to run about $7 each, Riken Ohm about $2 each, and "regular" matal film resistors run about $0.20 each. Just wondering if anyhow has had any experience with these that can substantiate the extreme difference in price for me...

[Edited by Eric on 08-22-2001 at 01:18 PM]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.