My Completed Krell KSA 50 Clone - Pics - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2012, 07:28 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcleungoo View Post
My KSA50 clone, just finished yesterday and is under stress test. Power: 500W torodial Transformer, 2x100,000uF BHC cap. bi-bridge rectification per channel... natural cooling.
That is one very, very, nice looking amp -- how much time did you invest into the build? Enjoy the sound!
Old 29th February 2012, 06:36 PM   #22
alibear is offline alibear  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi all, for what it'sworth.
I built a KSA50 clone with reduced supply rails and biased to give 30W at 8 Ohm. I used passive cooling with heatsinks along either side of a case I constructed from 10mm aluminium plate. The heatsinks were approx 400x 125x 40mm. They would run at about 50C which was OK, but the other components, Filter caps, transformers, etc would also reach this type of temperature due to heat convection.
Although all worked fine I have decided that I was not happy with those sort of temps so I am now re-building using fan cooling.
I have a heatsink similar to the original Krell but taller and a 120mm Papst 240V fan with a speed control. The fan has rubber mountings and fitted to the bottom of the heatsink. After a lot of playing I have found that I can dissapate the heat and maintain a temperature of approx 25C above ambiant and the fan running at 150V is virtually silent. Plus everything else in the case remains cool.
How you guys with KSA100's manage to get rid of the heat beats me, I'm full of admiration.
Hope this thread or the original KSA50 thread keeps going, it's given me a lot of pleasure.
Cheers
Alan
Old 29th February 2012, 06:41 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Being very new to all this and searching the prices of various heatsinks and capacitors for this type of project has got me bug eyed. Maybe I am looking at the wrong places at first glances, but for now I think I had better stick with tubes (well a first tube amp) for now and save my money for something of this magnitude as I would love to build a Krell one day.

I find all this very, very impressive...
Old 1st March 2012, 06:44 AM   #24
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibear View Post
Hi all, for what it'sworth.
I built a KSA50 clone with reduced supply rails and biased to give 30W at 8 Ohm. I used passive cooling with heatsinks along either side of a case I constructed from 10mm aluminium plate. The heatsinks were approx 400x 125x 40mm. They would run at about 50C which was OK, but the other components, Filter caps, transformers, etc would also reach this type of temperature due to heat convection.
Although all worked fine I have decided that I was not happy with those sort of temps so I am now re-building using fan cooling.
I have a heatsink similar to the original Krell but taller and a 120mm Papst 240V fan with a speed control. ***
Alan
You see that he used 30 WPC class A with very real heat problems. Don't try this (or any other) 50WPC Class A amp without knowing that it will be VERY hot, needing huge heatsinks or huge sinks/fan combo. 100WPC KSA 100, probably much too hot to cool easily, doable with effort.
Old 30th January 2013, 08:22 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheairbroadcast View Post
That is one very, very, nice looking amp -- how much time did you invest into the build? Enjoy the sound!
Just on and off for half a year. I haven't count the time.

Hide this!Advertise here!