What Speakers Work best with the JLH 10W Class A Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone,
I built the JLH 10W Class A Amplifier a while ago and with the speakers i was using, i was told that my Amplifier sounded broken and that the sound was too sharp and hurt their ears. When I changed over to my B Class Amplifier and played my B class through the same speakers, I was told "That sounds better".
My question is what speaker suits the JLH 10W amplifier.
As it was designed at a time when large paper cone speakers were the norm, should I be heading in that direction with my speaker choice?

A couple of comments:
What do they sound like to you? Maybe "they" are wrong.
And, maybe there is something wrong with the amplifier. It could be oscillating, or something else. It should sound good with pretty well any speaker system.
I built a prototype Class-A a while back and it sounded wrong, it turned out I had a bad connection to the capacitor in the feedback loop. Then it sounded great.

Hello paulb,
In relation to your question that there may have been a fault with the JLH Amp i built, I just want to say that because the JLH 10W amp and the ESP 15W class A are so easy to make up in an hour or 2, I have built 3 JLH's and 2 ESP's on Tag Strip, Vero and finally an etched board and they sound fine to me, It didn't matter which way they were built, they still sounded the same. It's possible but unlikely that I made the same mistake every time. I liked the sound, but my relatives who visited said it sound too sharp like glass, that's why i asked if this Class A works better with a certain type of speaker (eg paper cone) that would sound better to the average listener than others.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
John Biles said:
It didn't matter which way they were built, they still sounded the same. It's possible but unlikely that I made the same mistake every time. I liked the sound, but my relatives who visited said it sound too sharp like glass, that's why i asked if this Class A works better with a certain type of speaker (eg paper cone) that would sound better to the average listener than others.

John,

Is the ESP amp the DoZ amp? My DoZ sounds good on any speakers I have tried it with but it doesn't play extremely loud as its only 10 or 15 watts.

Did you use the same power supply for all amps? If there is a common problem it might be there. What PSU are you using?

What output devices are you using?

What are you using for the output cap?

Hello Greq Erskine,
I used a high ampage 28volt transformer and a 8amp bridge with about 8000uf of capacitors + 100n greencap on the power supply. The ESP amp was the Doz and I used the same transistors as listed in the Doz circuit diagram.
bc559, bd139 and 2n3055 transistors. The resistors were standard 5% and the same with all capacitors. On the output I tried from 1000uf to 6800uf electro's Caps as well as changing other cap values in the circuit. I just wanted to see how it sounded being a Class A and didn't want to spend a fortune on special Caps etc. With the Speakers I had at the time (Cheap Yamaha Bookcase 6.5inch woofer + tweeter) there wasn't a big enough differance for me to keep using the Doz over a Class B amp I had also built at the time and are still modifing as i could have more wattage without the heat. Now that I have brought some 3 way speakers, I will try the Class A again and see how it goes this time. I will built it from Scratch again and spend more time testing etc before i decide if i want to use it as my ever day amp

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi John,

Sounds like you have given it a fair go. My DoZ is quite similiar but I do have 20,000uF filter caps and the PSU is CRC as recommended by Rod Elliott. I imagine it would make a little difference having less ripple.

I came to the same conclusion as yourself. I ended up staying with a class-AB amp because it sounded just a little better, had more power and no heat.

I can't remember if I have posted a picture of my DoZ so I'm sorry if I have.

Attachments

• doz rh amp.jpg
    doz rh amp.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 557
Hmm, i've also built a DoZ, and the last thing i could say about it's
sounding is "broken" or "sharp like glass" !
I experienced a very warm/soft pleasant sound, the only reason i
rejected it was the enormous heat and the colorization.
I used MJL21194 as outputdevices, skipped the output-cap by using
a symetrical powersupply, and used a 2n5401 as input-bjt.
(I also added a small inputfilter, but should not make much difference)
The PSU was a very simple 500W,2x15v toroid, just a bridge-rectifier
and 2x22000uf. Biasing was ~1.5amperes.
I attached 3 different speakers, no problems !

Mike

I would say that the sound of JLH is very soft and clean coupled with a preamplifier BOZ. This is my system with philips as speakers. It is difficult to say if the power is less than 100w in all the spectrum of audio. but my powersupply has 115000uf to filter followed by a capacitance multiplier. and my Iq=2A with Vcc= 32V.I used
2N3055H as output devices and my transformer is one removed from an inverter 2x14V/500w.
I could say that in my town there isn't any other system which sounds as good as mine, I have compaired, for JLH bass, highs and mediums are very clean and alive.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.