need help with soundtech ps802 amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2005, 02:32 PM   #1
bt242 is offline bt242  United States
diyAudio Member

Default need help with soundtech ps802 amplifier

I have a soundtech ps802 amplifier sitting in front of me. It has a foreign plug on it. specs say a hybrid switch mode power supply? back says 120v 60hz and below that 230v 50hz. I am wondering, can I lop off the Euro? plug and put on an us plug and have the amp function? the fuse in back panel is the 230v rated fuse but it says what the value should be for 120v aswell. Amp is class H. Some have said give it a try. Some say transformer would have to be replaced. Some say transformer would have to br rewired. I opened it up, it has a rather small round transformer. I was going to buy a step converter/transformer to make it work but was wondering if there is an easier and/or more permanent solution for making it work as it should but on 120v.....??? I included a picture of the back if you can see the markings I'm talking about. Someone said that is probably standard on all the amps. Should I post a picture of the inside of amp? anyone have any brainy thoughts? thanks very much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00002.jpg (97.2 KB, 115 views)
Old 25th July 2005, 08:13 PM   #2
MikeB is offline MikeB  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi !
Yes, the plug is european...
Rewiring the transformer in a switchmodepowersupply ? That nuts...
It's not uncommon for smps to work with 110v-250v, so my guess
is you can replace the plug and everything should be fine.
But you should replace the fuse, and if you have a manual, study it.
Be sure it has this hybrid-smps !

But only a guess,
Mike
Old 22nd March 2013, 06:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default PS802

A little late answering this post........but they are designed to work with both voltages with no re-wiring. You could have bought a european to US plug adaptor and set your voltage switch accordingly. I just got finished repairing close to 50 of these amps if anyone has anymore questions.
fooserjeff@hotmail.com
Old 12th October 2013, 02:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Soundtech PS802 Repair Kit

I have put together a repair kit that fixes every audio problem I have seen if you have no audio on channel(s), intermittent audio, weak channel etc. If you have a lit power LED. This kit is not for blown fuse symptons or "dead" units (no power LED). Complete step by step instructions for replacing parts (parts included) and pictures. Kit is available on Ebay or email me directly fooserjeff@hotmail.com
Kit is $24.95 Schematic is available for additional $10.00.
Free shipping to U.S., $5.00 outside U.S.

Hide this!Advertise here!