Help with Hafler 9505

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I got from friend Hafler 9505 which has wierd noise on one channel. It starts with pop and than it follows with crackling noise which is followed with pop again and than it is quiet. That goes on and off every 15-20 seconds. Does anyone possibly has a guess what this could be?
Thank you
AR2

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi AR2,
Either someone is blowing bubbles with chewing gum or you had better get some more information.

A schematic would help some of us (me for one), and information whether the noise was heat related, motion related (tap it) or age related. I have no idea how old the unit is. Have you swapped the preamp leads to see if the fault is even in the amp?

As it is, my complete guess would be in the front end. I have seen older transistors doing this in the diff pair.

-Chris

Hi Anatech,
I do notg know exactly how old is unit, my guess is 5 - 10 years maximum. This is current amp from Hafler. I do not have schematic for this unit, but I found one for previous model 9500.
Here is the link.
http://k-amps.8m.com/cgi-bin/i/PowerAmps/Semicond/hafler_915c.jpg

This problem is happening any time - it is not heat related. It acts when the amp is just turned on, as well as when it warms up.

Certainly, problem is in the amp, as I mentioned it belongs to my friend. With my amp in the chain there are no problems.

Thank you
AR2

AR2 said:
Hello,
I got from friend Hafler 9505 which has wierd noise on one channel. It starts with pop and than it follows with crackling noise which is followed with pop again and than it is quiet. That goes on and off every 15-20 seconds. Does anyone possibly has a guess what this could be?

Pops are usually related with capacitors and crackling to pots, particularly if they stabilize after getting warm.

Check if the bias pot is a multiturn one. If it is not it might need changing. If the circuit is the same as 9500, I would add a capacitor in parallel with P1.

Suspect capacitors for pops are C1 and C2, with a necessary checking on C7 and C9. If the small values are not film types, preferably polystyrene or polypropylene, change them anyway.

If the problem is on the active parts the search migh be more difficult. Update the passive parts first and see if it gets solved. Be careful when you install the new pot: try to set it at same value P1 was or follow general bias set proceeding.

Carlos

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi carlmart,
I can not agree with you. You stand a very good chance of making things worse by just changing things out. Multiturn controls are at least as likely to be noisy as single turn also. Pops and crackling may occur with semiconductors.

AR2,
Most intermittents will respond to tapping or temperature changes (cold spray / heat gun). Could be a bad solder joint too. Lets find the fault first.

-Chris

Problem with Hafler 9505

I suspect it is most likely a cold solder joint. I have purchased a number of Hafler DH-200 amps of late and I have had one where the transistors just fell off the PCB.

I would start by taping the boards with a disposable speaker hooked up; just in case.

Based on my experience, it wouldn't hurt to reheat all the solder joints on the PCBs.

Thank you very much for all advices. I still do not have schematic for 9505 model. I openned amp and checked if anything looks suspicios. Interestigly enough circuit board looks burnt arond transistors (on the 9500 schematic) Q8,Q9,Q10,Q11. I do not know if it is old damage and someone worked on it already, or it is new and is reason for the problem.
Didn't have time to do any more checking on it, I just observed but I will try to do some more poking next weekend.
Thank you all
AR2

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi AR2,
What you see is just age I think. Resolder the connections in those areas, but first tap around to see if you can make it fail. Start tapping in the overheated area. Use a plastic rod or something like it.

You may want to replace the transistors and possibly resistors in the overheated area. Electrolytics are on the menu too. But not until you solve the fault.

-Chris

Thanx Kofi,
I just replied to your email. No, I haven't fixed it yet. I rtemember swapping input jFets from Right to left channel, but it wasn't the case. I still do not have schematic, and I was thinking sending it to Hafler - it is flat $350.00 repair. I will check if input jFets are Q11
Thanx:)

Hi Chucki,
Obviously I am not in rush since I didn't bother to fix it all this time. I would appreciate very much a scan. I hope these amps are same in the front end. Mine is 9505. Long time ago I found somewhere schematic for 9500, but 9505 was nowhere to be found. I the meantime I manage to displace somewhere even that schematic for 9500. I haven't been doing audio stuff for a whille. First it was summer, than I have been learning machining... Now I feel it is time to do something.
I appreciate your help very much
Thanx
AR2:)

If the 9305 is to the 9505 what the 9300 is to the 9500, then the only differences between the 9305 and 9505 will be 1 or 2 extra pairs of output devices per channel and larger (higher capacitance and votage) power supply capacitors. The transformer is also different.
A link to the 9x00 schematic appears earlier in this thread.

- Kofi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.