Looking for SPICE models of power BJTs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jorge said:
I think there is something weird with OnSemi's models of the MJL3281 and MJL1302.

Yes, they are terrible. This thread presents some results showing the simulated ft to be around a factor of 6 low at the nominal bias current. It also shows a PSPICE model which is pretty terrible also. I ended up tweaking the models to get a much better fit to ft vs current. The results are shown later in the thread. Unfortunately, I made the assumption that they couldn't possibly have messed up the DC parameters, but sure enough those are hosed too. This other thread shows some of the problems with the DC parameters. Among these is an RC that's much too high. It causes the internal Vcb to vary with increasing current so much that, combined with the Early effect, it gives a downward tilt to beta vs current.

Unfortunately, I haven't gone back and combined these changes into one model that fixes both the DC and AC parameters. I've been meaning to do it for quite some time now. Maybe this weekend I will bite the bullet and give it a try.

Doing this kind of stuff is no fun at all! The data sheets don't give all the info you need to get all the model parameters. Then there's the matter of eyeballing the data sheet to get tons of data values, then manually entering the data into Excel to plot them. What's really needed are text files containing the data for the characteristic curves, ft vs current, etc. It would be way cool if the data for the Gummel plots could be obtained from the vendor as text files.

That's why I've put it off so long.

Hello, Andy

Thanks!

Found your models for the 2SC/2SA ones, for me these are plenty enough.

I was getting weird cross conduction artifacts at 20k - now gone!

And, sice we are at it - some nice models for drivers? (here at DIYA or other site?)

Regards,

Jorge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.