How much AC does a Leach amp pull?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How high is up?

Leach is a design topology.

How much power it draws is a function of
1) what voltage you choose for the B+
2) what impedance you are driving
3) how many channels you want
4)how loud you turn it up
5)the peak to average ratio of the program material

My 600W/channel PA amps will trip the 20A breaker on sine wave testing. I have run four of these amplifiers rated at a total of 4.8KW from a single 20A breaker. The voltage dipped 10% to 108V on program peaks.

Don't worry about it.

(3) how many channels you want

Hi DJK

thanks for your post.

If I can have what I want, I'll triamp Linkwitz Orions and add four more channels for home theatre - for a total of ten channels.

I had been hanging around the Pass Labs forum with initial intent to do possibly Aleph 2's. However, ten of those draw 25 amps idling, not mention the heat dissipation. I'm in the middle of remodeling and can run two dedicated circuits pretty easily, but I don't want to run up the power bill by that much.

It's first on the agenda after the remodeling is finished. By the time I get there, I want to have a well thought out game plan.

After I realized music and HT don't go together well, I decided to do the best possible two channel and go DIY on the other channels. However, when I add tri-amping in it starts becoming almost overwhelming, not to mention questionable.

I'm tempted just to buy a couple of used AT! 1505's and be done with it, but keep thinking there may well be a better way DIY.

Another poster on another thread was discussing using Leach amps (which I know almost nothing about) for center and surround channels which prompted me to see how much they draw.

I'm basically a tube guy and SS is new to my thinking. Tubes however are a little fussy, and I don't want ten channels of fussy.

Any and all input or ideas are appreciated.:confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.