Bad Carver M1.5 Power Transformer?? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2012, 09:51 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakertech View Post
Yes, I do understand the principles of the amplifier.
As you stated that all secondary voltages should be nominal for a mains input of 60 volts at an amp that is constructed for a 110 volt line, I understand that if the amp is wired for 230 volts (original wiring from factory for europe), The input voltage must be around 120 volts from variac.
I just checked the value again and the RMS voltage (with FLUKE 177) reads at idle 91volts AC input for 126 volts DC on the highest rail. Current draw is about 0,3 amps RMS. This is with normal triac drive.

Tonight i'm going to connect my variac, to check the voltages with a sinewave input.
In Europe we use a mains frequency of 50Hz. I've never heard of problems, related to the mains frequency. Those amps are sold in Europe since 1984.

As you know, i'm not the only one facing this problem and readig many forums, i learned that the mag coil doesn't fail in most cases. However, i never read the solution or explanation of the problem.

Speakertech
dear people.
first of all I ask sorry for my English...
I hope someone help me, I read along this trehad, but I not found what solve ( or try to do ...) my problem.
I buyed for some buck the 1.5t.
Is really damaged, but whit a lot of patient and much more time, time after time I soved the problem the are front to me.
Started whit the ampli board now I'm stocked whit the regulator board.
I',m not have the original transformer but a couple of toroidal (from the beginning are inside and seems installed from a qualified person).
BDW...
I discoverd the Triac and the oc1 fused.
the diac are ok, the diode are ok, the resistor ok.
Changed triac and oc1,
but I have this problem : i read that the diac have to fire at 40 volts, and so the triac have to open from that voltage, but this not happen.
Infact , using a variac, at 25 volts the diac fires, and the same do the triac, and the trnasformer start to work.
And, also, more volts give to the ampli, more volts going to the trnasofrmer, seems the regulator no regulator nothing
Do you have idea what is the firing voltage at the triac ?
and (in the manual are not present) what is the exact model of the oc1 ?
tks and regards from Italy!-

Hide this!Advertise here!