High Current Leach/leach super amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably. Four 18's in parallel with a 5.6 ohm DCR will go down to about 1.4 ohms at box tuning. So instead of 50A, you need 70. But not 130. The woofers just simply can't draw any more than this unless you feed them more voltage. Any other effect, be it reactance, back EMF, or horn loading will cause the impedance to RISE not fall. So design for 80+, and call it good.
wrong.
But you do have some science on your side.
A filtered bass only signal will have much slower transients and these slower transients will not demand the higher levels of current that a wideband 2way with passive crossover would.

Have you read any technical literature on transient peak currents into speakers?

wonder how bowdown did with his subwoofer, it's been more than 5 years ago....:)

Hey guys,

Dont know what happend, I didn't get any emails from Diyaudio to say there were some new replies..I guess the thread was too old. I ended up getting a Crown 1400 CSL to run the sub as I just could not get any time to research and build something. I had to get rid of the sub and amp some time back :(..I still have most of the components that I had bought all those years back.. I'm slowly getting more time so who knows, I might still try out what Bocka suggested all those years ago just to give me something to do when I have the free time ;)..I dont need all that power any more especially at such a low impedences. Sticking to more efficeint speakers now :). Glad that things are still happening on the forums, I've been so lost here.

Cheers

Bowdown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.