Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Denon PMA 2000RIV
Denon PMA 2000RIV
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Al Raj is offline Al Raj  India
diyAudio Member

Default Denon PMA 2000RIV

Hi,

Has any one possess PMA 2000R MKIV stereo int amp (80 watts/rms/ch) & is it comparable to Rotel RB1080 & RC1070 combo?

I wish to go for above Rotel pre/power combo, but few friends of mine are telling me to go for Denon's above Int Amp, due to its built power etc.. I rqst for advises on this.

rgds
Raj
Old 5th July 2005, 12:42 AM   #2
carlosfm is offline carlosfm  Portugal
Banned

Default Re: Denon PMA 2000RIV

Quote:
Originally posted by Al Raj
Has any one possess PMA 2000R MKIV stereo int amp (80 watts/rms/ch) & is it comparable to Rotel RB1080 & RC1070 combo?
As an integrated, probably not.
I have modded a PMA2000 for a friend (don't remember which version).
The internal (transistor) preamp is VERY bad and throws away the baby with the water.
The power amp is quite good.
There's a switch in the back pannel to use the amp as a power amp.
First test I did was to switch it on and test a simple passive pre with an Alpha 10K log pot, short interconnects.
The sound opened-up like there's no tomorrow, bass became much tighter, harmonics of the instruments appeared out of nowhere.
Realy, a half-decent op-amp would make a much better pre than the one Denon uses.
My friend was so impressed he made me bypass the internal pre, so the amp is fully functional (including remote control), but the internal motorized Alps pot is wired directly to the power amp modules.
A little less gain, but fine.
This way, it will beat the Rotel pre/power combo.

Here's a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg denon.jpg (69.7 KB, 1074 views)
Old 5th July 2005, 05:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Carlosfm,

Thanks for your response. Just was trying to find more info on PMA2000R. I understand it weighs 50lbs for 80 watts rms & it's dual mono topology. Power wise IMO it can drive any loads, only sonic qualities is the matter. I came to know that this model has been just discontinued & Denon is coming out with a improvised version of the same model. Many audiophiles opinion on Rotel is *it's slightly on a brighter side* & proper care should be taken while matching the speakers, source, cables etc. Let me audition in detail,

rgds
Raj
Old 5th July 2005, 12:04 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Hi Carlosfm,

Thanks for your response. Just was trying to find more info on PMA2000R. I understand it weighs 50lbs for 80 watts rms & it's dual mono topology. Power wise IMO it can drive any loads, only sonic qualities is the matter.
What?!
Does Denon say it's dual mono?
Those two big trafos you see there are single voltage, one per rail.
As for the driving ability yes, it's good, better than a Nad 370, wich supposedly has much more power.
Power is just a figure, sometimes just marketing hype (my amp has more watts than yours ), while current (and PSU) are what really makes the difference for driving ability.
Old 5th July 2005, 12:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I liked the NAD CD players, but somehow not the Amps. No doubt NAD prods has good reputation worldwide.

About PMA 2000r MkIV, I was told by one of the dealer that it's a dual mono topology Whatever it's as you said, mainly PSU talks about its drive capabilities & not the book specs.

rgds
Old 5th July 2005, 01:17 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
About PMA 2000r MkIV, I was told by one of the dealer that it's a dual mono topology Whatever it's as you said, mainly PSU talks about its drive capabilities & not the book specs.

rgds
There's two single-voltage trafos, heatsinked TO-220 diodes, single pair of caps (12,000uf, if I remember).
The two power amp boards are completely separated, but the preamp board(behind the fascia) is one single, with common PSU for both channels. There's a small trafo for the preamp and control seccions.
I don't know how can this be considered dual-mono.
As I told you, I don't remember the exact version of the Denon PMA2000, but it was bought new around 2 years ago.
Old 6th July 2005, 03:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Carlosfm, Thank you for the details, it helps me lot.

rgds
Raj
Old 6th July 2005, 07:59 AM   #8
bekim is offline bekim  Albania
diyAudio Member

"Has any one possess PMA 2000R MKIV stereo int amp (80 watts/rms/ch) & is it comparable to Rotel RB1080 & RC1070 combo?"

Hi Raj,

I can say, what do you listen and what speakers you use...?

Undoubtely, (this pre/combo) Rotel has much better sound than (this) Denon with B&W speakers... But, this is not correct answer.
Denon as well Onkyo, in to my opinion they sound same approx 80-90% and, Rotel has better tech specs comparing to those two brands. Technical specs are not those which we are listening of course

I have Onkyo M508 with Denon pre-processor AVP-5000 connected with B&W 602S3, and every time I listen to this set -- hmmm.. is like i'm listening new system every day

Same configuration as above just amp is Rotel RB1070 and sound like systems which you have to pay in 5 digits. Rotel is known for high damping factor which results to produce this warm sound.

And last, Denon PMA2000r - I had chance to listen with various speakers, and yes sounds nice but, comparing to Rotel there is difference in mids mostly. I'm not saying that this Denon is worthless, but when money is issue then buying Rotel is wise step.
As carlosfm said, this Denon isn't dual mono block, I have open once.

Sorry Raj, maybe I confused you but, I want to tell you my experience with those two brands. Denon (& Onkyo) have silk sound, nice details and very high damping. They need nice speakers to communicate. While Rotel don't have this problems.

bekim
Old 6th July 2005, 08:24 AM   #9
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bekim
And last, Denon PMA2000r - I had chance to listen with various speakers, and yes sounds nice but...
Nice?
It sounds worse in original form than the cheapest Nad you can buy.
And the Denon has costed to that guy, bought new two years ago, almost 1,500.
I almost killed him when he told me the price he payed.
Fortunately the amp is salvageable, because the power amp seccion is good.
Old 6th July 2005, 09:03 AM   #10
bekim is offline bekim  Albania
diyAudio Member

"...the Denon has costed to that guy, bought new two years ago, almost 1,500."

Carlos,

I'm glad that we are in same tunes. Here costs about 2000 MK4..
I joke with some friends " with that money you can buy new one "

bekim

Denon PMA 2000RIVHide this!Advertise here!