Good Phono preamp circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The JFETs are avilable for this:

Attachments

• us4468627.png
    us4468627.png
    89 KB · Views: 2,441
Hi Nuvistor,

In practice the Ccomp could probably be reduced by 5 times giving a 10V/us slew rate FOR THE FIRST STAGE. This would be comparable with that of the chip.

Zinsula,

I'm sure the 2SK170 would be fine at 2mA (your comparison compares a 2SK369 at 3mA with the 2SK170 at 1mA) once Fletcher Munson and resistor noise is added. Still an order of magnitude below surface noise.

Cheers,
Greg

Hi ampguru -

I've done some LTspice simulation of your discrete + opamp circuit with 2sk369 and NE5534 models, acknowledgement to Uwe Beis for the NE5534. I tried flat gains of 5 and 50, Rf=1k, corresponding to RIAA MM and MC gain beyond 50kHz.

With your compensation values I had no success with stable feedback at gains of 5 or 50.

With Miller-integrator compensation of 20pF around the op amp with 5534 Cc=22pF I had success at 50 but not at 5. Avol is 130dB at 20Hz, 77dB at 20kHz, 33dB at 2.4MHz with phase margin of 45°. Perhaps some combination of input lag and Miller compensation could work at 5.

The 2sk369 drain capacitance affects stability, I cascoded with 2N4392, without cascoding 45° pm is at 50dB, 300kHz.

All of this reinforces my opinion that amplifiers with 3 gain stages are difficult to compensate simply at low closed-loop gains.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
if you follow the link to my web page below, here is an article on RIAA preamps and a spread sheet to calculate the equalization network using the Lipshitz equations.

It is fun to build using discrete components, but value for money and performance probably favors an op-amp approach.

Note that in the Baxandall circuit I discuss, you should use a buffer after the 2dary post filter - something AndrewT raised and that I will attend to when I write part 2. Right now though I am up to my eyeballs in my next power amp. ;-)

RIAA Phono Equalizer, phono amplifier | hifisonix.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.