What is a peripheral protector?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2002, 08:32 PM   #1
Default What is a peripheral protector??

it says in my datasheet that i can add one but it might help if knew what they were.
  Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2002, 08:36 PM   #2
The one and only
Nelson Pass's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Shoes. Gloves.

  Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2002, 08:41 PM   #3
Default Ummmm....

*Looks at his feet....then his hands...* i seem to be missing both. No really is this an output protection device? I want to protect my amps but i don't want a super complicated circuit just something so my amp won't overdrive itself if i turn the volume up too far.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2002, 08:44 PM   #4
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member
UrSv's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sweden
I could help if we knew which datasheet...

Maybe a peripheral protector is somebody who is very concerned about the wellbeing of printers, scanners and orphaned barcode readers?

  Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2002, 08:46 PM   #5
*Giggels* Ummm....yeeeees it's the datasheet for the "STK086G".
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2002, 08:56 PM   #6
Default here

  Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2002, 10:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
jackinnj's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Llanddewi Brefi, NJ
Default It's an opto-coupled "connector"

I guess --- since folks are trying to connect more external devices via the serial or parallel port you don't want voltages or overloads on these ports. Instead of a card for these ports they are incorporated right into the motherboard. Thus, you can fritz the entire thing with an over-voltage, or too much current draw. There was a design in one of the popular US DIY electronics magazines using HP Opto's and some quad comparators a couple years ago. Separate grounds for both sides.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2002, 03:25 AM   #8
Umm...ok but thats computers....What does it have to do with a hybrid amp IC?
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2002, 08:37 AM   #9
yeti is offline yeti  Germany
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewersbach
Default External protection

I think they mean adding relays, fuses and things to protect the speakers.
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DC protector ?? ping_31140 Pass Labs 9 18th January 2009 09:34 AM
Loudspeaker Protector muzza Solid State 49 29th April 2008 03:13 PM
UPC1237 IC Amp Protector matt09 Chip Amps 5 2nd November 2006 06:59 PM
Speaker protector gaminn Parts 0 9th April 2006 04:43 PM
Cd_transport/ peripheral colwaiting Parts 1 17th April 2003 04:37 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:58 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2