hifi solid-state PREAMP ... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2005, 09:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default hifi solid-state PREAMP ...

hi ..
i m lookin for a hi-fi pre amp .. without any tone-control section .. just a volume ...
and why most of pre amps change the tone ? specialy in bass & mid tones ...
any idea ?
Old 17th June 2005, 10:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
why most of pre amps change the tone

Probably for a similar reason that most cables change the tone. I doubt that you will get a satisfying answer.
Old 17th June 2005, 05:01 PM   #3
sss is offline sss  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sss
Default Re: hifi solid-state PREAMP ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad_tbp
why most of pre amps change the tone ? specialy in bass & mid tones ...
any idea ?
why not ?
dont like it? dont use it! there are people that like tone controll (like me ) but most of the guys here dont like it though so most of the circuits of "hi fi" pre amp u'll find here have no tone controll
Old 17th June 2005, 06:38 PM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Many commercial amps have tone controls to allow the user to mistakenly believe they can alter the final sound to take account of the dificiencies of their system.
I believe that you should choose a system that best meets your needs and listen to what the recording producer put on his recording without adulterating it any further. ie. no tone controls for the last 28 years.
Old 17th June 2005, 07:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Seems like most of the upper shelf systems don't have tone controls on the pre amp but many use some type of EQ, be it graphic or parametric to ballance out the room. Sometimes with well designed tone control circuitry you can do a similar thing.

Blessings, Terry
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, P101, Symasym, KSA 50, Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee, VSSA PMI & jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx & sx, AX&SX-14, TMG8, Slewmanster w/CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid
Old 17th June 2005, 07:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: hifi solid-state PREAMP ...

Quote:
hi ..
i m lookin for a hi-fi pre amp .. without any tone-control section .. just a volume ...
and why most of pre amps change the tone ? specialy in bass & mid tones ...
any idea ?

Some preamps are just poorly designed.
You mention a change in the bass and mid.

If you will better describe what you are hearing, we may be able to give better advice.
Old 17th June 2005, 08:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

hi .. & thnx ...
i m mostely listenin to metal & hardrock ... and i m lookin for a pre amp layout ... to use in my pc speakers ... and i hate tone control .. cuz it really change the tone .. i prefer to use graphic eqs
any layout ?
Old 17th June 2005, 09:01 PM   #8
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Why no tome controls? Possible reasons include:

A- Experience with poorly designed controls sometime in the past. Audiophile logic (and I'm as suseptable as anyone) tends to over generalize -- if something was bad once, it must be dad always and under all circumstances.

B- Over optimistic expectations. Tone controls can't cure all ills, therfore they are a bad thing. Related to A, above.

C- EQ is more effective. The benefit of well executed EQ goes way beyond what tone contols can do.

D- Belief in minimum components in the signal path. Capacitors are especially heinous in some eyes and tone controls tend to involve caps.

E- More people are going to multichannel pre-amps where tone contols are hard to use. (Just contemplate adjusting tone controls in a 5.1 system - where do you start?) Result may be we have come to expect the lack of tone controls.
Old 17th June 2005, 11:04 PM   #9
sss is offline sss  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sss
Quote:
i m mostely listenin to metal & hardrock ... and i m lookin for a pre amp layout ... to use in my pc speakers ... and i hate tone control .. cuz it really change the tone .. i prefer to use graphic eqs
oh cmon
tone control is ment for changing the tone
tone control is the same as graphic eq with less bands
thats what i've found http://sound.westhost.com/project02.htm
u can make it with no tone control if u want to

why no tone control in hi end systems? well because some old guys belive in stuff like directional cables , digital audio sux , this super op amp is better then that ...... ugh

those guys know that in the studio the signal goes through millions of caps and op amps and mixers/tone controls / eq's and all that and they still think that a small cap in the signall path will make the sound worse

also music recorded on the cd is recorded with less bass then there should be because the bass signal is much bigger then others , for better resolution u gotta reduse it .........snr is limited

btw sam9 in 5.1 most of the time they use digital tone control
look for the facts ........good luck

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

LOL
Old 18th June 2005, 03:14 AM   #10
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
btw sam9 in 5.1 most of the time they use digital tone control
look for the facts ........good luck
Actually, I'm not sure I've ever seen a tone control on a 5.1 AVR or preamp/processer regaredless of wether it is high end or low end. I'm sure there is one somewhere but it's unusual. Maybe there's a conflict with THX certification.

Personally, I don't use tone controls because I've got an EQ unit that is more satisfying so far as room correction goes. And as far as making a recording more to my taste I'm a bit hard nosed in that I'm not inclined to correct short commings of the end product but fior better or worse form my opinions therefrom.

Hide this!Advertise here!