Odyssey Stratos schematic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone seen the Odyssey Stratos schematic ? A friend tells me that it sounds great . He adds that it sounds very 'dynamic' . So what is the general opinion about this amp and is there anything special about the configuration ?
They have been around quite some time I think and so I think many of our US members might have come across one.
Anyone ?
Cheers.

i own a pair of odyssey mono extremes and had previously owned odyssey khartago monos. they are both based on the symphonic line rg 11amplifier designed by mister rolf gemien of duisberg germany. i also own a odyssey tempest preamp based on the rg 2 mk3 also designed by mr gemien and i love the way all of the gear sounds. i think that odysseys cost vs performance is tough to beat . i also own a symphonic line vibrato cd player designed and hand made by rolf gemien in germany and it sounds more like a good phonograph than a cdp and i firmly believe that rolf gemien must have very good ears based on the sonics of his designs.

I would also like to have schematic of stratos.

Although I really like the build & sound quality of stratos, I alwasy wondered why it has such big heat sinks when they don't even gets warm.
I was thinking about increasing the bias a little bit, but couldn't justify.

Any experiment with Stratos anyone?
Well there's no reason to ruin the 10-year warranty if you're the original owner, but I guess the warranty is shortened if you buy used, and now Stratos' are selling really cheap (considering the quality).

Doug

I alwasy wondered why it has such big heat sinks when they don't even gets warm.

A lot of commercial gear uses too small heatsinks and rely on the customer not driving it hard. If driven hard over some hours it burns out. See it as proper engineering. Good thing.

I was thinking about increasing the bias a little bit, but couldn't justify.

Don't do that. There's an optimum bias point, changing it will only make distortion worse.

Have fun, Hannes

h_a said:

A lot of commercial gear uses too small heatsinks and rely on the customer not driving it hard. If driven hard over some hours it burns out. See it as proper engineering. Good thing.

Don't do that. There's an optimum bias point, changing it will only make distortion worse.

Have fun, Hannes

Hannes,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I agree with you it's already designed to be optimal so I don't need to ruin it by experimenting.
However, I sometimes just feel like try different things and I believe I'm amused by "different" sound, not only by "better" sound. :D

Doug

Almost 3 years have passed since I planned for this, and I at last did it: modding a Stratos.
But I didn't do exactly I planed. I wanted to try different bias of Stratos, but instead, I decided to put the Stratos in a smaller chassis.

Reason: Odyssey Stratos barely gets warm. And the way those Sankens are coupled with the massive heatsinks suggest that it will never require any serious heat dissipation. And there are plenty of space in the chassis, which someone can say wasted.

I have absolutely no intention to question or blame the way Stratos is. It has its purpose, it's well-built equipment, and I like it. I just wanted to build class-A amps, starting with Pass F5, and I just wanted to use Stratos chassis for F5.

I put transformer, PCB with heat coupler (?) of Stratos in a smaller chassis with smaller heatsinks. It is much lighter and compact than Stratos, yet the sound quality is no different. I lost 4-5 years worth of factory warranty out of 20 years, but I already enjoyed the amp more than it costed.

As expected, even in a smaller chassis and heatsinks, this amp barely gets warm. Never hot. I kept the amp powered for 48 hours, with a few hours hard driving, no problem.

Doug

OS_new_chassis1.jpg

Larger photo ... I can reverse engineer from halfway around the planet. :D Top photo , at least 1024 X 1280.
I'm curious, too.

PS - even w/ low res. , I can see 4 - mt-200 sankens? drivers/Vbe on main HS , the 2 VAS devices near the bias trimmers ... etc.
It's most likely a VERY simple LIN , or balanced topology w/ single ended input pair.
OS

Last edited:
We can have a .zip file of 976k , within that .zip file one can fit a HUGE jpg or bitmap pix (2 -3meg +). the whole 12 megapixel output of my cam (3600 X 2600) or 2 will fit in a zip under 976k. Jpg can be 976k , ALL are very detailed , even 1280 x 1024 - you can see the part #'s :confused:.

"attach files" - in "options" is where these can be uploaded. :)

PS - read about the "odyssey's" - just another "goldmund" (overpriced audiophile - simple circuit with esoteric prices) easily cloned.... looking at models and layouts , I like these better.
OS

Last edited:
Hi
My greetings from Greece

I have all the parts to build a Stratos amplifier(only the transformers are missing) and all are the original (I have them since I upgrade to the red boards which are plug and play and all the components of the old one are on).
To be honest I will not do it by my self but I have to give some info to the technician.
This has the 1200000uf upgrade.
Any info about the bias, offset, connections, power supply and primary transformer's specifications will be a big help.
My best regards
Gerasimos

Almost 3 years have passed since I planned for this, and I at last did it: modding a Stratos.
But I didn't do exactly I planed. I wanted to try different bias of Stratos, but instead, I decided to put the Stratos in a smaller chassis.

Reason: Odyssey Stratos barely gets warm. And the way those Sankens are coupled with the massive heatsinks suggest that it will never require any serious heat dissipation. And there are plenty of space in the chassis, which someone can say wasted.

I have absolutely no intention to question or blame the way Stratos is. It has its purpose, it's well-built equipment, and I like it. I just wanted to build class-A amps, starting with Pass F5, and I just wanted to use Stratos chassis for F5.

I put transformer, PCB with heat coupler (?) of Stratos in a smaller chassis with smaller heatsinks. It is much lighter and compact than Stratos, yet the sound quality is no different. I lost 4-5 years worth of factory warranty out of 20 years, but I already enjoyed the amp more than it costed.

As expected, even in a smaller chassis and heatsinks, this amp barely gets warm. Never hot. I kept the amp powered for 48 hours, with a few hours hard driving, no problem.

Doug

OS_new_chassis1.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.