Odyssey Stratos schematic. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2011, 03:05 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Almost 3 years have passed since I planned for this, and I at last did it: modding a Stratos.
But I didn't do exactly I planed. I wanted to try different bias of Stratos, but instead, I decided to put the Stratos in a smaller chassis.

Reason: Odyssey Stratos barely gets warm. And the way those Sankens are coupled with the massive heatsinks suggest that it will never require any serious heat dissipation. And there are plenty of space in the chassis, which someone can say wasted.

I have absolutely no intention to question or blame the way Stratos is. It has its purpose, it's well-built equipment, and I like it. I just wanted to build class-A amps, starting with Pass F5, and I just wanted to use Stratos chassis for F5.

I put transformer, PCB with heat coupler (?) of Stratos in a smaller chassis with smaller heatsinks. It is much lighter and compact than Stratos, yet the sound quality is no different. I lost 4-5 years worth of factory warranty out of 20 years, but I already enjoyed the amp more than it costed.

As expected, even in a smaller chassis and heatsinks, this amp barely gets warm. Never hot. I kept the amp powered for 48 hours, with a few hours hard driving, no problem.

Doug

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th May 2011, 09:01 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Larger photo ... I can reverse engineer from halfway around the planet. Top photo , at least 1024 X 1280.
I'm curious, too.

PS - even w/ low res. , I can see 4 - mt-200 sankens? drivers/Vbe on main HS , the 2 VAS devices near the bias trimmers ... etc.
It's most likely a VERY simple LIN , or balanced topology w/ single ended input pair.
OS

Last edited by ostripper; 7th May 2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 7th May 2011, 10:29 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

" Larger photo " ....? Where ?

Can we have a larger photo ?

Cheers.
Old 7th May 2011, 02:21 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

We can have a .zip file of 976k , within that .zip file one can fit a HUGE jpg or bitmap pix (2 -3meg +). the whole 12 megapixel output of my cam (3600 X 2600) or 2 will fit in a zip under 976k. Jpg can be 976k , ALL are very detailed , even 1280 x 1024 - you can see the part #'s .

"attach files" - in "options" is where these can be uploaded.

PS - read about the "odyssey's" - just another "goldmund" (overpriced audiophile - simple circuit with esoteric prices) easily cloned.... looking at models and layouts , I like these better.
OS

Last edited by ostripper; 7th May 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 23rd August 2011, 04:37 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi
My greetings from Greece

I have all the parts to build a Stratos amplifier(only the transformers are missing) and all are the original (I have them since I upgrade to the red boards which are plug and play and all the components of the old one are on).
To be honest I will not do it by my self but I have to give some info to the technician.
This has the 1200000uf upgrade.
Any info about the bias, offset, connections, power supply and primary transformer's specifications will be a big help.
My best regards
Gerasimos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kim View Post
Almost 3 years have passed since I planned for this, and I at last did it: modding a Stratos.
But I didn't do exactly I planed. I wanted to try different bias of Stratos, but instead, I decided to put the Stratos in a smaller chassis.

Reason: Odyssey Stratos barely gets warm. And the way those Sankens are coupled with the massive heatsinks suggest that it will never require any serious heat dissipation. And there are plenty of space in the chassis, which someone can say wasted.

I have absolutely no intention to question or blame the way Stratos is. It has its purpose, it's well-built equipment, and I like it. I just wanted to build class-A amps, starting with Pass F5, and I just wanted to use Stratos chassis for F5.

I put transformer, PCB with heat coupler (?) of Stratos in a smaller chassis with smaller heatsinks. It is much lighter and compact than Stratos, yet the sound quality is no different. I lost 4-5 years worth of factory warranty out of 20 years, but I already enjoyed the amp more than it costed.

As expected, even in a smaller chassis and heatsinks, this amp barely gets warm. Never hot. I kept the amp powered for 48 hours, with a few hours hard driving, no problem.

Doug

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!