Urgent help needed with replacing output devices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The output devices in my Musical Fidelity A300 integrated amp blew out on the left channel and I need to replace them. There are 4 Sanken SAP15 NY 9819 and 4 Sanken SAP15 PY 9013 devices in the amp.

I can get replacement ones from Profusion PLC for $5 each. They're from the same gain group (Y). Or I can send it to the importer for replacement at $25 each + work + 2-way shipping + at least 2-week wait.

So the question is, how tight are the tolerances in a gain group like this? Would it be ok to match them with random ones from the same gain group?

Please, I really need this info.

Hi,
are there individual source resistors for each FET in the power outputs?
If yes then group them into Hi Vgs & Low Vgs, using the Hi groups in Ch1 & Low groups in Ch2.
If No then closer matching will be my recommendation but await other opinions.
BTW I think the letter code grading will be for admittance(yfs) which you may find difficult to measure consistently. Varies with temp during each reading.
You can easily measure Vgs at a prescribed current. Try to match this to Iq.

Hi,
mistakenly thought SAP were FETs.
Just substitute Vbe for Vgs & follow previous.
The crossover distortion is likely to be the most serious concern when replacing outputs and that's why I think matching Vbe @ Iq will be more effective. Current gain disrepancies further up the voltage swing will mean unmatched currents but the emitter resistors (if fitted) will help balance them out.

No , not a bad amp.. in fact ,rave reviews...
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/musicalfidelity_a300.htm

Can't find a schematic but I don't think matching is a problem
with these sankens (High end- made just for audio- OP devices)

Since these are darlingtons with diode comp.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

it's a good bet they are IC driven.
Amazing for the high end (now I really want to build my sanken/
LM4702 amp)
Good luck, OS.
:)
BTW .. something to note ..internal emitter resistor can be bypassed by connecting an external one.
you might have just burned internal resistor-data says
it is designed to fail before transistor junction does(s). strange.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.