75 volts AC on chassis - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2002, 08:41 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Unhappy 75 volts AC on chassis

My hafler DH 500 has 75 volts AC between the frame and neutral or ground. I discovered this when it gave me a couple shocks.

Any ideas what might cause this and why it doesnt fuse?

Ive checked for continuity between the frame and trans. secondaries and there is none. Seems to me the AC means it has to be before the bridge rectifier?

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Fritz
Old 8th September 2002, 08:52 AM   #2
skaara is offline skaara  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

How does you PS look? Post pics, schematics..
Old 8th September 2002, 02:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Did you try checking the caps?

Check to see if there is a cap (or pair of caps) on the AC line into the power switch -- -- could be dirty (or blown) in which case you could get some leakage, also check the filter caps -- (do you have a half-cycle of AC?) I just replaced one of the filter caps in a receiver -- but I would think you would blow fuses first. Lastly, check if there are any ceramic caps across the rectifiers --
Old 8th September 2002, 03:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default DH500 PS

Check C406
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dh500.jpg (27.2 KB, 419 views)
Old 8th September 2002, 05:47 PM   #5
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

So did you check for any resistance between the frame and transformer primary? If that's OK see below.

The fact that you got no resistance between the frame and the transformer secondary means you have a very early DH500. There is a 0R5 0W5 resistor on each circuit card between the speaker output ground and the input jack ground. Check for continuity between the black speaker binding posts the ground shell of the RCA jacks. This resistor acts like a fuse when the amplifier is hooked up to a piece with a hot chassis.
Old 8th September 2002, 06:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Great advice,

I checked c406 and it was ok but then saw that the next possible short was the fan and transformer, when I clipped the fan lead the voltage on the frame disappeared! Now where to find a haffler sort of fan.
Old 8th September 2002, 07:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Great advice,

I checked c406 and it was ok but then saw that the next possible short was the fan and transformer, when I clipped the fan lead the voltage on the frame disappeared! Now where to find a hafler sort of fan.

However

Now when I flip the AC plug I get either 0 volts on frame used to be 75 or, when I flip the plug, 120 on frame relative to ground.

Now Ive isolated the transformer by disconnecting all three secondary wires and also removed one of the two primary wires.
When I apply current to the one remaining primary wire I get about 90 volts on the frame relative to ground. Is this a sick transformer?

Thanks

Fritz
Old 8th September 2002, 08:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

DJK

I did have resistance between the secondaries and frame my diode check indicated there was no continuity. I checked reistance between the RCA neutral and neg speaker and I measure about 1500 ohms on both sides so i think that resistance is intact.

The resistance between all three secondary leads and frame is infinite. And the resistance between the primaries and frame is infinite.

Now I have removed all leads from the trasnformer and the frame voltage is gone. When I hook the black transformer primary to the 120 wall voltage 80 volts comes back on the frame.

Bad transformer?

Thanks,

Fritz
Old 8th September 2002, 08:06 PM   #9
skaara is offline skaara  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Maybe bad isolation between chasis and transformer?
Old 9th September 2002, 05:13 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Do you think this is enough evidence to spend the money for a new transformer or are there other checks I could do?

The transformer case shouldnt have voltage should it?

Thanks,

Fritz

Hide this!Advertise here!