70's and 80's AMPS - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2005, 04:02 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

There's a subtle difference between the words "vintage" and "classic."
Broadly speaking, you can call any older amp a vintage amp; it just means old. Wine and cars are about the only things I can think of where the word vintage is a plus. (And even then, there are bad vintages...) Classic is a much rarer thing. Try putting those words in front of a woman's name to get a sense of the difference. Call an older woman "vintage" and you're likely to get hit or written out of her Will. Call her classic and you might even get a thank you, although it probably won't be sufficient to get you a share of her estate.
"'70s solid state" and "classic" approaches being an oxymoron. Exceptions were few, indeed. The '80s produced a much better crop of solid state amps.
I remember a thread not unlike this one where someone got a little peeved that his '70s-era pet favorite wasn't regarded well by other posters. To illustrate what a grand decade the '70s were he started a laundry list of everything that was in production at the time. All I could do was shake my head sadly. Just because something was manufactured does not mean it's a classic...no matter how many units were sold. Ford sold a lot of Pintos in the '70s. You'd have to search long and hard to locate anyone who would want to own one now. They're vintage, but hardly classic.
Mark,
I'm reluctant to urge someone to spend $4-700.00 on a piece of used equipment unless they've already stated that they're able to afford something like that. To some people that qualifies as real money, not just pocket change. Hafler DH-200s can be had for as little as $75.00 if you're patient or $150 if you're in a hurry. I have no idea what Phase Linear stuff goes for, but I imagine that they can be had as cheaply, if not moreso. If the objective is lots of cheap power for a sub, it might be a good option. I don't think I'd use one for a mid or tweeter amp. As I said earlier, this will pivot on the amount of money that can be brought to bear on the problem.
One final note: Any piece of gear judged to be classic after more than three drinks (or while under the influence of any other recreational chemical) should be viewed with great skepticism later. Given the number of people who spent time listening whilst under the influence back in the '70s, I think I can advance a more cynical explanation as to why so many people think highly of certain pieces of gear that would probably be better off gutted for parts and abandoned.
There was this pair of speakers I remember...

Grey
Old 26th May 2005, 04:34 AM   #32
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
Any piece of gear judged to be classic after more than three drinks (or while under the influence of any other recreational chemical) should be viewed with great skepticism later. Given the number of people who spent time listening whilst under the influence back in the '70s, I think I can advance a more cynical explanation as to why so many people think highly of certain pieces of gear that would probably be better off gutted for parts and abandoned.
There was this pair of speakers I remember...

Grey
A really astute observation. So was the rest of your post.

That's probably why I have such fond memories of my Rectilinear IIIs. Set up in quad, no less.
Old 26th May 2005, 05:23 AM   #33
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
to spend $4-700.00 on a piece of used equipment
For that budget they'd still probably have a better amp if they bought a BrianGT or AudioSector 4780 amp and paid someone to build it for them....

dave
Old 26th May 2005, 10:24 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Anyone who is ready to accept some of the more foolish notions put forth in the above posts, email me before you grab that lighter fluid and match for that 'old, stinky, worthless' gear.
Old 26th May 2005, 11:50 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

For that budget they'd still probably have a better amp if they bought a BrianGT or AudioSector 4780 amp and paid someone to build it for them....

dave

A few weeks back i did ask if anyone would build me something. I had a few replies but no one mentioned how much :-) ..... i dont think one of the DIY amps that will power stereo subs at 4 ohms will be in a range i can afford. I am still willing to talk about a stereo amp to power my Pentagrams though.
Old 5th July 2005, 06:16 AM   #36
ndc_11 is offline ndc_11  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ndc_11
I've been running a Dynaco ST-410 for the last 4 years on my 5.1 system and it rocks. I also have a Crown DC300A Series II strapped for mono that runs about 600+ watts. The Dynaco is really a great amp and I do like it a lot (I bought and built it in the 70s) but the Crwon has unbelieveable damping and really produces tight bass.

Go get a DC300A - they kick butt!

Hide this!Advertise here!