Stacking toroids - Ok?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Leroy:

the only reason the leakage flux is low is bacause the core has a high magnetic permeability, while the surrounding materials (air, mainly) have a low permeability. The magnetic flux takes the "path of least resistance" and stays in the core. BUT... stack a nice big chunk of grain-oriented silicon steel (eg, a second transformer) right up against it, and you're going to have some flux in that other piece of iron. It will all depend on how close physically the other core is. I've never tried it myself, but I guarantee, there will be some coupling. How much... ? Dunno. Like I said, it will depend on how closely coupled that second core is. Try the following experiment: stack two toroids, and connect the primaries of the first to mains voltage. Then, check to see what voltage appears on the other transformer's coils... without other circuitry connected, you'll be able to see the effect of the flux leakage.

I still maintain that to avoid unnecessary heat generation, and for optimum channel isolation, you want those bad boys separated. At least make sure there's some spacers in between them..

I have stacked 4 tiroidals, two on top of each other, and these twins next to each other, producing + - 70 volts (rectified) and we use it to run a 300 watt disco amp, runs all night flat out and we have to date had no problems. I did not even bother to separate them with rubber washers etc.
I will check next time they have run for a few hours to see if they produce any major heat.

DieterD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.