testing equipment help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just starting out in the world of diy audio and would like to start building some amplifier and preamplifier circuits, but I have no testing equipment of any kind. Not even a DMM. I would like to start probably with a passive pre-amp and then move on to building either a Zen project or maybe even an Aleph 3, but I would like to purchase equipment that could be usefull to me for a few years as I am a student and probably won't have the resources to buy any additional equipment in the next 3 years. I have a budget limit of $220 dollars, but if possible would like to end up well under that target as it would delay any projects for a couple of months. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I sould buy, what specs. I would need on a DMM, how much I should be willing to spend, or even (best possible senario) have a model # of a DMM that would suit my needs or that I should look into. By the way I won't be dealing with tube circuits, and probably won't be dealing with digital circuits either. Thanks so much for your help.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
If you want a DMM right away, you can go to any Radio Shack. I picked up a Sperry DMM from Lowes hardware this weekend. Lowes has a price ranger of about $20 to $79 for DMM. You want to get one with the widest range of settings and capabilities as possible: Ohm, vdc, vac, capacitance, diode and trans tester, freq., ect -for your price range. DMM can go for several hundred $'s for such model Like Fluke and Tektronics.

You could check the internet. I couldn't find anything on Ebay, but I didn't look really long either.

A DMM and A oscilliscope would be 2 excellent tools for for starters.

Vince

Thanks Vince,
What about accuracy on the DMM, is that usually an issue, something i need to be careful with, what tollerances should the it have. Should I worry more about how small a signal the DMM can measure or how large of one it can handle. Thanks so much for your help.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Another thing you might want to think about buying is a signal generator. I bought a Leader 10 Hz to 1 MHz sine and square wave generator on Ebay for around $75. It has really gotten a workout. I use it to check the frequency response of gear I build, to adjust crossovers, you name it.

The alternative is to buy a test CD's, but those can cost $50 and are not nearly as flexible and easy to use as a good signal generator.

Phil

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Accuracy is important. Compare tolerances between models you're interested in. Comes in handy when measuring low value resistors and other components. Some amps use resistors under 1 Ohm. make sure it can read into meg Ohms.

Unless you're doing high voltage testing, you can get away with most DMMs, but it's nice to have that headroom for safty. I would say yes to both extremes. This is also a factor in price tag.

Good Luck!
:)

Stuff I borrow the most from work...

is sorta a guide I guess. A GOOD DMM you ought to have around the house period if you are one step from moron. I then tend to borrow the freq gen/counter alot (I work in the broadcast area, so the engineer's shop has better eqquipment than I can afford, so I borrow...). Scope is next, then they have the really good HP analyser that I steal on the weekends. If you are doing design work at all, then a variable powersupply is a big buy, along with for safety sake, a good vent system for solder.

Beyond the DMM, you can get good used stuff for all of this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.