Output Resistor Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a amp based on the LM3886, and the output resistors are specified to be 10 Ohm with an inductor (wire spinned around it).

However, I used a 30 Ohm resistor and no inductance/solenoid or what you call it. Will this affect the sound, besides limitng the power output?

/Chrisian V

Well, that resistor and the inductance are used to avoid the amplifier oscilation and to hold some capacitive loads.
If you want, assuming all of it is well assembled, simply don't use that resistor and the inductance.
Using that 30 Ohm resistor (in series with the output, right?) maybe some fire occurs (or just smoke):D
The sound maybe become unaltered, but the power is only that is dissipated by the 30 Ohm resistor. Is this is one of 5W, and the LM3886 delivers, I think, more than 60W, the result is ... PUFFF!!!
:bawling:

Output inductor/resistor

This sounds like a Marchand kit. I'm not sure about the best value for the resistor, but the coil can be important. The IC amp like most (all?) discrete amps can operate at frequencies well beyond human hearing. It is possible for it to be generating output in these inaudible ranges. Hopefully, these are filtered out before they reach the output stage, but if not they will be treated just like any other signal.

The inductor serves as a final filter to block signals beyond the audible range. If not present, there are two bad things that might happen A) curent is consumed amplyfying what you cannot hear which may limit performance in the audible range and B) the high frequency signal may be sufficient to damage your tweeters. AND this happens with out any audible indication that you are aware of until something fails.

In sum, I suggest you leave the inductor in unless you KNOW there are other measures in place to prevent the amp from passing high (~20k+) frequencies.

If I haven't described this correctly, I welcome any enlightenment offered.

I did not ask you what the resistor is for(I already knew that) I just want to know if it's in parallel with the output or in series or what... You normally don't use an inductor and a resistor at the same time anyway. Usually it's a resistor and capacitor, or an inductor alone in series with the speaker, but not both topologies. I hope this clarifies my question. Thanks;)

Christian:

I read the replies and don't see the answer to your question.

Yes, besides limiting the output power the resistor, whether 10 or 30 ohm, will change the frequency response of the speaker. The greatest effect will be in the bass but there could be large variations across the band depending mostly on the design of the crossover.

The inductor is there to act as a short circuit across the resistor at audio frequencies. At higher frequencies the inductor acts as less of a short and the resistance in line with the speaker increases.

It is my suggestion that you use the inductor and 10 ohm resistor. If you don't have an inductor you can make your own by winding about 20 turns of #14 magnet wire around a 3/8" wooden dowel. After removing the dowel you may place the resistor inside of the inductor if you wish.

Hi,

I removed the resistor, and naturally it plays louder, maybe somewhat different.
My friend suggested that the inductor was for protection of the circuit. Apparently, the speaker-cables can act as antenneas and if a current should flow towards the chip, this inductor would stop it.

I don't know if this is true, but it works well without it.

Best Regards,
Christian

Inductor/resistoEplxpanation from G.Randy Slone

Per Slone's book capacitive loads from the speaker or speaker wires could cause phase shifting or OPS overloads. The inductor provides protection. The resistor, in turn, dampens ringing associated with the above.

I do not have enough knowledge to to agree or disagree. I'm just passing it on in case the statement is helpful.

I remember one problem I had sometime ago.
I've made a LM12 Amplifier and it get very hot, even with no signal. I've thougt even the LM12 was dead... :( more than 50 Euro in the garbage... But no. It's only high frequency oscillations and I couldn't hear. After installing 20 turns of wire upon a resistor, the LM12 only get's hot when I reach the max power. And the heatsink was little (10x10x3).
Want to know some? :eek: IT STILL WORKS!!! :eek:
The conclusion is: use the inductor and the resistor.

Pedro Martins

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.