My first solid state amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ops, I meant $40 for a pair. I have six pairs available, plus the assembled boards for $199. All for non-profit.

Since I haven't had much luck I was wondering if anybody out here would be willing to help me out with getting these boards out the door. Maybe some ideas on a different approach. I'm not into marketing obviously, I'm an engineer and what I do best is design, and build things. I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Al

Hi AAK,

I followed this thread and looked at your website. I'm very interested in a pair of amplifier kits. What other parts do I need (except from an enclosure) to get it running?

Transformer included? Because in the hybrid version I see it's included.

If not, what transformer do you recommend?

Kind regards,

Mischa

Hi Mischa,

Thanks for the reply. No, I don't supply a transformer, you'll need two for each amplifier. I'd recommend at least no more than 35-0-35Vac secondary voltage at 300VA. You'll also need a couple heatsinks rated for at least 0.37C/W. Conrad at www.conradheatsinks.com model MF25-100 should work fine. Also a case for the amplifiers, connectors, wire, IEC power cable and socket, and some hardware. The BOM provides part numbers for both Digi-Key and Mouser which supplies all the components except for the Auricap input capacitor which can be purchased from www.partsconnexion.com or www.audience-av.com.

I'll follow up with an email with more info.

Best regards,

Al

Hey Al!

gotta say i like your work, gives me an impression of being thoroughly done. and I like thoroughly done work! good going!

just wondering about perceptive sound quality..
i know this is shaky territory, especially since your an engineer, and this is your baby, but can you say something of it in contrast to a gainclone or some other common audio reference?

personally i dont have enough experience to choose camp, though i like to to have claims proven by numbers on a piece of paper.

would perhaps be interested in a pair of pcb's, but being a student i have to choose wisly where to spend my cash.

cheers
marius

Hi marius,

I try to be thorough, and put a lot thought and work into everything I do, and I'm stickler for detail.

As far your sound quality question. No, I have not compared the RTS100 to a gainclone, but I have compared it to some really good commercial amplifiers, and one very popular kit. I'm not here to compete with anybody, I have a world respect for all the great designers on this forum and consider myself a student, always trying to learn something new. Believe me if the RTS100 didn't hold up to all those great amps I would not bother bringing it to market. It's to expensive and time consuming to do so. As far as comparing the amps I used a blinded A/B comparison method with three test subjects. I bought a kit with several relays with an RF remote that allowed me to easily switch between the amps.

If your looking to build amp let me know what your price range is.
If have so many parts, boards, unfinished kits, and prototypes lying around that maybe I can work something out for you.

Best regards,

Al

AAK said:
Hi marius,

I try to be thorough, and put a lot thought and work into everything I do, and I'm stickler for detail.

As far your sound quality question. No, I have not compared the RTS100 to a gainclone, but I have compared it to some really good commercial amplifiers, and one very popular kit. I'm not here to compete with anybody, I have a world respect for all the great designers on this forum and consider myself a student, always trying to learn something new. Believe me if the RTS100 didn't hold up to all those great amps I would not bother bringing it to market. It's to expensive and time consuming to do so. As far as comparing the amps I used a blinded A/B comparison method with three test subjects. I bought a kit with several relays with an RF remote that allowed me to easily switch between the amps.

If your looking to build amp let me know what your price range is.
If have so many parts, boards, unfinished kits, and prototypes lying around that maybe I can work something out for you.

Best regards,

Al

You Got Mail!!

Jason

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.