my AV400 is back - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2005, 04:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default my AV400 is back

Hi

AV400 :

http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/download.htm

This is the second AV400 that I have built. 1st one is for a subwoofer which is still working quite alright and nothing nasty come out during construction but this one....

I have use 220u instead of 100u for the power rail decoupling caps. (I had the name right?). I found that my pot is just 3k8 instead of 5k as specified. The pre-freight test comes out fine except the voltage across R3 was a bit off.

When I tried to adjust the pot, the voltage across the source resistors give me null reading. No matter how I adjust the pot, there is no reading whatsoever. No q. current?

Can anyone give me some idea what might went wrong. I've checked all transistors before soldering in.

Thanks in advance for your information.
Old 12th May 2005, 05:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Mattyo5
My symmetrical 400 amps wouldn't bias up b/c i had the bias transistor backwards. If you look on the actual pcb for the symmetrical 400, the base, collector and emmitters are marked correctly, though they are marked in a different order than the actual pinout of the transistor. transistor was BCE, order on the pcb is BEC or something like that. just fyi

-Matthew K. Olson
Old 12th May 2005, 06:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Tks Mathew,

When you say the bias transistor, you mean Q10--BD139 (just to make sure first). If you look at it in the front, it should be ECB from left to right. I did not use Holton's board, I had mine self-brewed. I did check that (which Holton had specifically warn ) polarity of Q10. I don't think that is the problem.
Old 12th May 2005, 08:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't have the amp anymore, so i don't remember the config. I missed holton's warning...i think it should have been in bigger letters. hehe. Anyway, if i remember right, yes it was bd139. Anyway, good luck w/ the problem...wish i could help more.

-Matthew K. Olson
Old 13th May 2005, 01:02 AM   #5
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Do you guys still need help i have my nchannel at my finger tips to help out.
Old 13th May 2005, 01:20 AM   #6
Banned

just 3k8 instead of 5k as specified. The pre-freight test comes out fine except the voltage across R3 was a bit off.

When I tried to adjust the pot, the voltage across the source resistors give me null reading. No matter how I adjust the pot, there is no reading whatsoever. No q. current?

-------------------------------------------
i think the substituton of 3k8 could be causing the problem and the bias generator if there is one then again the substitution has rendered it inoperative
Old 13th May 2005, 02:29 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Tks for the tip mastertech, actually I didn't put the 3k8 on purpose. The pot had 502 written on it so it's a 5k, but since it is not working for no reason, that is the time I go snooping around for possible error and I found that this damned thing is only 3k8. I guess all I can do is to put another 1k2 on one side to make it 5k and see if makes the Q10 operative and then I will find a real 5k for it. D***, I was framed if that's what cause the trouble.

BTW, could it be possible that the bd139 is having a hfe that is too low to make the circuit nonfunctioning?
Old 13th May 2005, 02:33 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you take the pot out and check it...does it actually adjust? or does it just sit at 3.8k? i dunno what i'm talking about, but i still suspect bd139

-Matthew K. Olson
Old 13th May 2005, 04:13 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

the usual term for this type of "bias generator" is Vbe multiplier. It will work with a range of values but you may find yourself at one extreme of the pot's range. I second Matt's suggestion to check that the pot adjusts and add check the solder joints from wiper to Q10.

What is the voltage emitter to collector on Q10? You should be able to adjust it to greater than 8 volts (output stage disconnected) Maybe Zd3 and Zd4 are in backwards, limiting your bias voltage.

What is the voltage across R37? Any voltage across R34?Basically looking for some current in both places.

Is Q10 electrically isolated from the heat sink? Grounding it will make a mess of things.

how far off was the R3 voltage?

did you remove the temporary 10 ohm resistor?
Old 13th May 2005, 08:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I got no reading across R34 and about 5.6mV across R37
Q10 was not s/c to the heatsink.
I had 1.36V across R3

I've got about .56V across ZD1, ZD2. Does it mean they are trashed?

I have the 10 ohm temporal resistor removed.

About voltage emitter to collector on Q10, do I have to desolder all the outputs first to measure it. I can still measure a hfe on it.

Hide this!Advertise here!