NVMOS amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2005, 01:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Workhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Smile THE Simple RAIL TO RAIL SWINGER N-CHANNEL MASTER AMP

Hello to everyone,

Presented here is a simple n-channel mosfet amp [block diagram]capable of delivering rail to rail swing without the need of extra complexities such as seperate driver supplies to keep the regular DIYer in a simple and safe state at the same time enjoying the pleasure of using N-channel mosfets.

Suggestion and comments , subjective or objective, constructive or destructive criticism are most welcome to further develop it into a design which will be a very simple and easy to build a excellent sounding amp.

So comment and enjoy the spirit of DIYING

Cheers,
Kanwar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rtrs.jpg (35.5 KB, 7137 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 01:27 PM   #2
ilimzn is offline ilimzn  Croatia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Zagreb
Why the extra divider and capacitor for the bottom transistor?
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 02:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Workhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
To saturate it till its limit and squeeze max efficiency out of it.

just a simple design although , by the way what are your comments about the design. Since its a straight forward design with no complexites involved , therefore one has to comment it on it according to his own perspective view.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 02:12 PM   #4
ilimzn is offline ilimzn  Croatia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Zagreb
I see the reason for the bootstrapped divider for the top N-ch output FET as you need more than the +V rail to get it fully on. But on the bottom end the divider could just as well have been connected to ground, not the output, as you really have nothing to bootstrap. In fact, it would be even better if it was a single resistor from ground as the voltage swing is fairly small compared to the DC from ground to the gate of the bottom FET, hence it would better approximate a current source, like the upper bootstrapped version does.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 02:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Workhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by ilimzn
I see the reason for the bootstrapped divider for the top N-ch output FET as you need more than the +V rail to get it fully on. But on the bottom end the divider could just as well have been connected to ground, not the output, as you really have nothing to bootstrap. In fact, it would be even better if it was a single resistor from ground as the voltage swing is fairly small compared to the DC from ground to the gate of the bottom FET, hence it would better approximate a current source, like the upper bootstrapped version does.

In my simulation,when I eliminate the bootstrap on lower mosfet, and followed your comment, the lower rail loss rises from 0.65 to 2 volts. which is a decrease in efficiency.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 02:53 PM   #6
johnnyx is offline johnnyx  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: manchester
The way I see it is that the bottom end divider maintains the VAS current irrespective of output voltage level, similar to the way that the bootstrap does it for the other half.
The only issue I can see is that the two halves of the VAS will see different collector voltages, so they will run at different temperatures. I don't know how inportant this will be in practice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 03:03 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Workhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyx
The way I see it is that the bottom end divider maintains the VAS current irrespective of output voltage level, similar to the way that the bootstrap does it for the other half.
The only issue I can see is that the two halves of the VAS will see different collector voltages, so they will run at different temperatures. I don't know how inportant this will be in practice.

There would a difference in temperatures between VAS transistors, but they must be mounted on the heatsink which will provide them thermal safety and there would be no practical problem in reality.
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 03:17 PM   #8
ilimzn is offline ilimzn  Croatia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Zagreb
That really does not make any sense unless the schematic you posted is not the same as the one your simulator is using.
You have a divider from output to gate drive of the bottom FET, the midpoint of the divider is connected to -V rail through a capacitor. Assuming perfectly stiff rails (fair assumption for a simulator), and a decent size capacitor, the top of the divider is at 0V DC (that should be the DC component of the output!), the bottom of the divider is a Vgsbias. The current through the bottom resistor is (voltage on capacitor - Vgsbias)/(bottom resistor). You should be able to replace the capacitor with a voltage source equal to the DC operating point voltage on the capacitor with no change at all in performance. So, if you can do that, you could just as well connect one resistor to ground, it'svalue equal to the total resistance of the divider, so you get the same current. Or has someone gone and changed Ohm's law while I was asleep?

Also, your input cap to ground needs to be put after the input resistor divider or it will not filter anything from a voltage source at the input (even though there are no true voltage sources, it will confuse the heck of the ones trying to be, and may even resonate with the cable inductance).

The bias generator needs carefull attention. As you have it now, it compensates itself very well (Vbe of CCS with Vbe of the diode connected transistor) but not the FETs, or rather, the current tracks the _difference_ between the CCS temperature and the FET temperature if the diode connected transistor is on the heatsink with them, instead of FET absolute temperature. Correct tracking also relies on the resistor dividers in the FET drivers vs actual current chosen as well as the actual voltage reference of the CCS chosen (the zener and the trimmer, the tracking law changes with the bias current chosen). Seems a bit touchy to me...
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 03:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Workhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by ilimzn
That really does not make any sense unless the schematic you posted is not the same as the one your simulator is using.
You have a divider from output to gate drive of the bottom FET, the midpoint of the divider is connected to -V rail through a capacitor. Assuming perfectly stiff rails (fair assumption for a simulator), and a decent size capacitor, the top of the divider is at 0V DC (that should be the DC component of the output!), the bottom of the divider is a Vgsbias. The current through the bottom resistor is (voltage on capacitor - Vgsbias)/(bottom resistor). You should be able to replace the capacitor with a voltage source equal to the DC operating point voltage on the capacitor with no change at all in performance. So, if you can do that, you could just as well connect one resistor to ground, it'svalue equal to the total resistance of the divider, so you get the same current. Or has someone gone and changed Ohm's law while I was asleep?

Also, your input cap to ground needs to be put after the input resistor divider or it will not filter anything from a voltage source at the input (even though there are no true voltage sources, it will confuse the heck of the ones trying to be, and may even resonate with the cable inductance).

The bias generator needs carefull attention. As you have it now, it compensates itself very well (Vbe of CCS with Vbe of the diode connected transistor) but not the FETs, or rather, the current tracks the _difference_ between the CCS temperature and the FET temperature if the diode connected transistor is on the heatsink with them, instead of FET absolute temperature. Correct tracking also relies on the resistor dividers in the FET drivers vs actual current chosen as well as the actual voltage reference of the CCS chosen (the zener and the trimmer, the tracking law changes with the bias current chosen). Seems a bit touchy to me...

Hi ilimzn,

The Cap is not at the midpoint of resistor divider and the ratio of voltage divider is set, such that the caps voltage will remain at around 15Volts with respect to ground under no signal conditions in order to ensure perfect drive condition with no overdriven on gate.
I doesnot like your opinion of replacing cap with voltage source because it hampers the symmetry of output gate drive characteristics. No one has changed Ohms law , but maybe your perspective have changed a little bit due to sleeplessness.

regarding the input cap, its a drawing error which will be corrected.Thanks for the comment.

Regarding bias generator, i sees your point too. Its connected in a wrong way.
Then whats your suggestion for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rtrs.jpg (10.0 KB, 5119 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 04:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Workhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
here is the corrected schematic...............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rtrs.jpg (35.7 KB, 5480 views)
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: DIY amplifier builder with experience. I need a 0.7 ohm stable amplifier Audiophilenoob Swap Meet 34 16th May 2005 11:58 PM
Questions about how to decrease the PASS A-40 amplifier into a class AB amplifier. novtango Pass Labs 2 21st October 2002 01:50 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:15 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2