line level splitter/distributor? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2005, 04:34 AM   #1
Optical is offline Optical  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default line level splitter/distributor?

Im sure this must have been covered before, but i have searched and not found anything.. Or perhaps its plain simple?

If i wanted to plug the output of an audio source into several different amplifiers and recording devices similtaneously how could i do it?

I dont want to simply split the signal up using Y-connectors as i lose 3dB with each split right? And also the impedance matching would suffer (?)

Im not 100% clued up on what happens exactly.. but anyway, I realise several parallel opamp buffers would work, but no cost/power effective or very elegant..

if i say have an opamp buffer with several (line impeadence) resistors in series with each output would that do it?
Old 2nd May 2005, 04:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

There is no 3db loss with a Y splitter. Assuming a low output impedance, you could drive a half dozen amps with splitters.
Old 2nd May 2005, 06:08 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

really?
hmm, ok.. i do notice a loss in level and sound quality when i use one though?

reguardless, i still am looking to power abotu 10 different devices (home recording stdio..)
Old 2nd May 2005, 07:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Then either the output impedance of the source isn't very low or the input impedances of the loads aren't very high - or both. Maybe you do need a hefty buffer. You didn't specify the source or much else in the way of details.
Old 2nd May 2005, 09:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

ok, just looked up the output impedence and its 47k
input impedences range from 47k to 10k on various amplifiers, soundcards and fx units..

so, if i were to build a buffer with something like a.. er.. cant remember the name of it.. ah buf634!? then that should be sufficient to power several loads without any detrimental effects?

thanks for yuor input btw
Old 2nd May 2005, 11:42 AM   #6
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Optical
ok, just looked up the output impedence and its 47k
input impedences range from 47k to 10k on various amplifiers, soundcards and fx units..

so, if i were to build a buffer with something like a.. er.. cant remember the name of it.. ah buf634!? then that should be sufficient to power several loads without any detrimental effects?

thanks for yuor input btw
47K output impedance is unusually high. What is it? If it is an opamp it's more likely in the range of 100 ohms.
Yes, the BUF634 would be a fine choice for a buffer.
You may want to read this:
http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...=opamp_prj.htm
Old 2nd May 2005, 09:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

its the output impedence of a mixer..

thanks for the link
Old 3rd May 2005, 12:29 AM   #8
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

It's probably an op-amp and should be able to drive several amplifiers. One thing to be wary of, however, is how long is the total cable that the op-amp is driving; they don't handle long cables very well without some damping. There should be several app notes out there you can google for information on how to do this.

p.s. Hi Bill

Hide this!Advertise here!