G Randy Stone Design Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2005, 11:02 AM   #1
SteveT is offline SteveT  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default G Randy Stone Design Help

I want to build an amp from "The audiophiles project sourcebook" Project 6.19 ,but need some help with component ratings. I need to know what type and voltage rating caps to use and also what resistor wattage. Has anybody built one of these designs.

Cheers
SteveT
Old 25th April 2005, 11:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Email Randy via his website with the questions you have.

He's usually quite good with replies.
Old 25th April 2005, 02:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: G Randy Stone Design Help

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveT
I want to build an amp from "The audiophiles project sourcebook" Project 6.19 ,but need some help with component ratings. I need to know what type and voltage rating caps to use and also what resistor wattage. Has anybody built one of these designs.

Cheers
SteveT
Hi SteveT,

I am building a Slone Amp but from his other book (High Power Audio Amplifier Construciton Manual, design from figure 11.4) but the principles are general and apply. Here is what I've understood in his schematics:

- You can use 1/2 W resistors unless otherwise specified.

- Capacitors' type are not specified but you should choose high quality capacitors depending on its function on the circuit. Ex:

* Rail decoupling capacitors: voltage rating = confortably above Rail supply voltages Type = I've used metallized poliester , should do fine (maybe overkill) but I think a ceramic one would do no harm. Other decoupling capacitors follow similar idea...

* Input coupling capacitors: in the design I am building he specifies 2 x 22uF electrolytic capacitors. I wanted to use a different type but I didn't have much choice since it's hard to find (at least here in Brazil) better capacitors types with such high values. I've used Panasonic high quality electrolytics but I am not sure hoe it is going to sound. Voltage rating is 63 V each.

* Feedback path: here I tried to find the best capacitor types I could. In the design I am constructing they're 5 pF, 150pF and 300pF. I used Polypropilene type, voltage rating can be low maybe around 50 V - not sure.

Well, I hope that helps. I am really looking foward in getting the amp to work and hear how does it sound. Many people say a lot of good things about Slone's designs.

Best regards,

Jo„o Pedro
Old 25th April 2005, 08:05 PM   #4
SteveT is offline SteveT  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

What i really need is a parts list. The problem is that my DIY skills are OK, I have built a lot of smaller projects, but my real weak point is my electronics. Maybe I will consider a different amp if I can get a complete list of components.
Cheers.
SteveT

Hide this!Advertise here!