The remote control paratactic volume control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The very good control type,it can better than R2R control type.

Attachments

• new_pa46.gif
    new_pa46.gif
    32.5 KB · Views: 2,315
Hi Hugh,

From memory (1990), I managed to track down an alps agent in Australia. They had to be specified by a code that would do an eye chart justice - and I waited a few weeks for the production and delivery. They were 50K but had some crosstalk which improoved dramatically when I wrapped them in a (rubbing) copper box and earthed it. Using a 10K would lower crosstalk by 14 dB.

They may be more available from Taiwan, HK, or Singapore as an off the shelf these days.

Trust that helps. I could do with one.

I dont want to rain on your parade but i would like to mention a few dissadvantages with your design. Depending on your volume setting your input impedance is different this means a different noise figure and a different bandwidth (which again means different noise figure).

Sorry but i just noticed your image. Iam not a big fan of having the volume control ONLY on the output (or in the middle). While having the volume control not on the input increases the noise performance it degrades the distortion. Your input stages are going to be swinging large voltages compared to a circuit with a volume control on the input. I guess its one trade off for another, designer's preference

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.