Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2005, 03:33 PM   #1
hhhjr is offline hhhjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default cs-800

Hello, I have a pv cs800 that about 15 years ago set my spekers on fire. Its been sitting in my basement scince. Well a friend asaked if he could use/have it I said sure, but let me take a look at it so you dont fry your spakers. So B4 I tear into it just wondering if any1 has seen this B4, I belive I remember checking it out a bit and i think i remember high voltage on the channel that blew. Thanks
Old 19th April 2005, 05:16 AM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Either the amp has a bad channel, or you connected it to speakers that couldn't handle its power when it works propery.

Fire it up without speakers and check for DC voltage on the output terminals. If there is DC there, then the channel is blown.

If you take the top off hte amp, you will see a pair of heat sink modules in there - one per channel. Each held in place by three screws. With power removed, you can remove the screws and the modules lift out. There is enough slack in the wiring that you can set tghem on end off to each side of hte amp chassis.

Note each module has a four conductor Molex connector carrying power to it. This connector is right on the power transistor board. Each module has a smaller driver card perched on it, and several connectors going to it. You can disable eithe module by disconnecting the four pin power connector for that module. That in fact is the first step when fuses are blowing.

If ther is DC on an output, then we look at the rows of power transistors and find the shorted ones.

You can get parts and schematics from Peavey. 601-483-5365 To get the right schematic, have the serial number for the unit, and look onthe serial number plate for the official model name. CS800, CS800B, CS800 '81, etc. They made a lot of them. In the sense that Chevy made a lot of Corvettes, but they differend year to year.

Hide this!Advertise here!