Amplifier Repair Question (Large Image WARNING!) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2005, 12:55 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Amplifier Repair Question (Large Image WARNING!)

A friend of mine passed on to me an amplifier that needs to be repaired. It is a EV TAPCO PA-700. He plugged it into the wall, and flicked the switch, and flames shot out of the fan hole (there were no inputs attached and no outputs attached).

Upon opening the amp, I discovered that a fair number of resistors on one channel were fried, but everything else appears generally okay. Do I just need to replace the destroyed components? I don't have a schematic, but the other channel is in perfect condition, so I should be able to work off of that.

Here are some pictures of the destoryed channel, and its corresponding good channel:
Section 1: Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Section 2: Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Section 3: Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

I'd appreciate any suggestions I can get on this, as I've never repaired an amp before.
Old 16th April 2005, 01:08 AM   #2
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi,

if You have never repaired an amp before, this one will become difficult.

I think I see burnt transistors, too!

My recommendation would be to clean the board without desoldering or cutting any components, first.
This way you can check out how much the board material is affected and also distinct most of the components that look damaged.

Then draw the schematic according to the other channel and mark every component that has been damaged. By posting a schematic with all the damage described, I'm sure someone on the forum can help (I don't know this particular amp).

Sebastian.

PS: The transistors we can see are the drivers for TO-3 power transistors underneath the board below the screws, right? Are those still okay?
Old 16th April 2005, 01:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

from my cursory examination, the big output transistors all look in mint condition.
Old 16th April 2005, 03:29 AM   #4
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

one of the big high-voltage-rated red capacitors is blasted as well.
Old 16th April 2005, 03:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Resistors are passive devices and fail because something else caused them to. If a resistor is burned up then replacing the resistor won't solve the problem. The most likely culprit is a transistor going bad.

Adam
Old 16th April 2005, 04:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Amplifier Repair Question (Large Image WARNING!)

Complaint...........this has virus attached.......plus absurdly long and blocks cookies...

richj
Old 16th April 2005, 09:23 AM   #7
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

You cannot tell if the large power transistors are OK by looking. You will have to check them with a meter to see if they are shorted.

I don't recall what the power transistors are in that one, but if they are the J49 and K134 pair, you are screwed. They wil cost more than a new amp.
Old 16th April 2005, 10:49 AM   #8
sss is offline sss  Israel
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to sss
u can test the transistors with a multimeter if u got one , put it on diode test , the transistor is like 2 diodes ..........blah blah , hope u know that allready

Hide this!Advertise here!