:: sq quadraphonic :: - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2002, 07:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb :: sq quadraphonic ::

Dear all:

Does any one have a schematic for SQ Quadraphonic or the DIY information???

Cheers

ragil.hastomo
Old 28th August 2002, 01:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is quadraphonic dead already???
Old 28th August 2002, 02:04 AM   #3
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
Sorry, I don't know much about Quadraphonic systems.

The quad thing has kinda become obsolete along with hafler matrixing and that sort of thing. But lot's of people still like to use them cause they are original and cool
Old 29th August 2002, 01:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Duo for your reply ...

I agree if quadraphonic is original and cool and more musicality than dolby surround, its not add anything to the music [for QS matrix I think] ......

But why everyone leave them? And I've browsed the net and I need more info about the DIY Quadraphonic ....

Regards:
ragil.hastomo
Old 29th August 2002, 01:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, I dunno why Quadra never caught on. I've never really listened to it but I plan to read the theory on it and build a decoder as one of my "infamous" surround projects to see if I like it. Right now, I use a form of Dolby Pro-Logic I designed myself and am still adding on to. It is designed to get 7 completely discreet channels out of only two inputs. So far I've built the system up to two front speakers, a center, and a set of rear mono. But I'll soon be making the box that modulates the rear channels into stereo and makeing a set of side channels that are panned out from a summing of the rear and front of thaqt side to help enclose the listener. This way there will be on center speaker, the regular front stereo speakers, a speaker on each side wall in line with the listening chair and a set of rear speakers, all producing different sounds and parts of the music. This system also works perfectly for movie surround sound and is not digital nor active so it doesn't color the music at all except for the coloring of the passive parts which is very minimal. The complete decoder will be constructed out of Hammond broadcast transformers, resistors, capacitors and maybe a couple of transistors. But absolutely no ic's or filters of any type. My current system already sounds much better than any dolby pro logic or home surround sound box for that matter because of the high quality parts I have used. If you like, I can post a diagram later once I have completed the engineering and testing which may take a few weeks but will be worth it...
Old 29th August 2002, 01:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

An interesting tidbit of info that few realize. When Dolby came out with the first cinema stereo processors they liscensed the 2/4 Encode-decode scheme of the Sansui QS matrix system. I've seen many 2/4 decoder cards in these early Dolby cinema processors. They must have had some sort of agreement with Sansui as to liscensing as the QS logo was on every card for quite a few years.
Mark
Old 29th August 2002, 01:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Interesting... I haven't actually heard of the QS matrix, however I think I have an Akai reciever that incorporates this card.

Would you care to explain a bit about the QS? Thanx in advance.
Old 29th August 2002, 01:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Get a load of this little item
It's a Sansui QS-800A
I also have the "Operating Instructions & Service Manual", complete with schematics and parts lists.

It's about 30 pages.

Anyone Interested?
Rodd Yamas***a
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sansui_qs_800a_01.jpg (23.6 KB, 661 views)
Old 29th August 2002, 02:14 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Man, I used to fix those Sansoupis back in the early 70's! Worked at a hi-fi service center for a large chicago Hi-Fi store chain back then. Those darn plastic tab power output transistors used to literally melt apart! Some of the more expensive models had TO-3 style outputs. Then came along the Pioneer SA-1000(er somethin like that) receiver at 250 wpc! Wouldn't even fit on my bench! The Pig of all Pigs.....
Mark

That might ahve been SX-1000 Pioneer. I think thats how much it cost too.
Old 29th August 2002, 02:42 AM   #10
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty sure SQ had to have pre-encoding. I seem to remember there were SQ records available.

I think the Pioneer SX-1010 or whatever it was had 100 W/ch. That was a lot for 1975.

Hide this!Advertise here!