Join the Super Leach arena - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2005, 04:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Join the Super Leach arena

Hi,

Having finish the ETI-466, I would like to start the Super Leach. I had gone thru the pcb suggested by Prof. Leach some time ago and when I first saw it, I have the same worry as many of you had : thin traces for the +ve, -ve, grd. I had one further worry, too many connecting wires. The more connecting wires, the more chances of making errors, interference etc, etc¡K. (hope that don¡¦t cause any hard feeling to anyone)

What I had in mind is that I would try to put the 8 output TO3s and the 8x5W resistor on another board, tagging others along. Trying to reduce the no. of connecting wires between the 2 boards I can get myself out of a lot of trouble. To make them as close as possible, I intend to put the 2 boards on top of each other, with the component side facing each other, keeping a distance of about say 1.5 ¡V 2 in with two heatsinks running along sides of the boards not just for thermal dissipation also for mechanical support. The aerial clearance for the input board is about 1 in. while that for the output board is about 0.5 in. I would use metal post to connect the +ve, -ve, grd between the two boards. Would that be a potential problem? I am stuck with the board-to-board connectors. With my layout, I had another 6 connections between the two boards. I am thinking of using molex connectors (the little white ones we see in our computer for connecting cooling fans). Or I can use none stranded wire connecting the two connecting pads when they can be aligned.

Sorry Jens, your design is excellent but I just want to use the TO3s I had on hand instead of buying new ¡¥plastics¡¦. If anyone is starting from scratch, you should get Jens pcb. With my layout, you can still DIY your own board (single side). Of course, there would be a lot of drilling for the aluminum brackets.
Old 13th April 2005, 02:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

This is the slightly redo of Prof. Leach's pcb
Old 13th April 2005, 02:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

This is the slightly redo of Prof. Leach's pcb

Sorry, didn't attach the file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf final-0.pdf (93.1 KB, 286 views)
Old 13th April 2005, 02:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The input part
Attached Files
File Type: pdf final-1.pdf (72.6 KB, 212 views)
Old 13th April 2005, 02:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The output part

Is this feasible? I am worried the grounding. Any suggestion?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf final-1a.pdf (34.9 KB, 211 views)
Old 13th April 2005, 03:04 AM   #6
Account Disabled

BigPanda,

Why you do skinny supply tracks on o/p board? You have so much room. Remember more copper less etchant. Why waste what you've got?
Old 13th April 2005, 06:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,
What software did you use to produce those outputs? Very nice looking.

Adrian
Old 13th April 2005, 08:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi amplifierguru,

Tks for the tip, any other thing I can do better

Adrian,

Forget about the software, it gives out radius instead of diameter for the gerber drill file. Some traces are missing from the gerber. The bottom resist layer was unprintable. For simple circuits like amplifiers, one might still be able to check the gerber but if you are doing for something else, I wonder how that can be done. If you are using it for home-brew, its ok. But if you are using it for fab-house, might as well forget it.
Old 14th April 2005, 01:06 AM   #9
Account Disabled

Hi Panda,

I'm sorry I don't know the circuit or your track currents/supplies connections so cannot comment much without them.

If you need to beef up supply tracks you can solder tack desoldering wick strategically although it might look messy.
It can lower R and L of high current tracks.
Old 20th June 2005, 12:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Finalising the boards :

This is the main
Attached Files
File Type: pdf final-1.pdf (74.1 KB, 151 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!