Technics SU-7700

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a VERY nice, clean Technics SU-7700 on eBay. It sounds quite nice, but has one problem: the right channel is significantly louder than the left. On bass hits, the power meter for the right channel consistantly reaches higher maximums than the left. I have reversed the speakers and played every sort of music I have only to come to the same results.

I have pretty sensitive speakers (fostex fe207e's in a MLTL) and am only driving about 1 - 1.5 watts through them. Much louder is just too much in my little dorm room. Could slight differences in transistor bias, minute unmatchedness of transitors, positioning in my room, or the high sensitivity of my speakers be the culprit?

Thanks!!!
-'orange

Have any suggestions as of brands to use? The caps in there actually look very similar to modern Xicon packaging... I wonder if they are original? 'Cause the power supply caps look nothing like them besides a common cylindrical shape. Can I use some plain old dirty Xicons, or should I opt for something a litte more refined like Elnas? Does it really matter in this application?

Nichon PW series OK? Low impedance... but says well suited for switched power supplies. I think I'm going to replace all the electrolytic caps in my amps using as many panasonic FC series as I can and filling the leftover values up with the Nichion PW's (FC's don't have very small capacitances with low voltages). Mayeb this question is a little absurd, but I really don't want anything damaged or sound worse... it sounds very nice now and putting aside the left channel being weak, this amp is awesome.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi rhymeswthorange,
They should be fine. Asking about brands of caps is like asking what wine is the best. Dangerous question at the best of times.

Newly manufactured caps are better than those made a while ago. Manufacturing processes are better. Except of course the terrible caps that went into many motherboards and some car decks.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.