Anyone with an ampzilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working on an ampzilla II. The bias ic has a 4 transistor array. This one is shorted and took out the outputs. I know in the original 'zilla, there was no ic for setting the bias. Have you ever converted one? Also, what effect would lowering the bias a little have? If you have rebuilt one, what problems did you run into?
Thanks
Roger

The original IC used in the Ampzilla was the CA3086, all later models used the MPQ6100.

An open bias IC would take out the outputs, not a shorted one. The shorted outputs took out the bias IC (unless you did not have it in contact with the heatsink).

The stock bias level is fine.

djk said:
An open bias IC would take out the outputs, not a shorted one. The shorted outputs took out the bias IC (unless you did not have it in contact with the heatsink).

Sorry, got that backwards. It set a speaker on fire when it let go. Pretty scary day! I would like to make the bias control a trimpot if I can. If not, I need new ic's. They're hard to run down around here.

Roger

It has been years since I looked at an Ampzilla and their
magic "proprietary" chip, which as stated was an off-the-shelf
transistor array. I'm sure you could replicate the functionality
with a fairly normal Vbe multiplier, though you should reverse
engineer the original circuit (given a schematic of the interior
of the transistor array) to be sure.

djk said:
Contact Us

J&K Electronics Inc.
11-4 OLD DOCK ROAD
YAPHANK, NY 11980
631-205-0005 FAX:631-205-9489
TOLL FREE 1-866-4JKELECT
Contact us by E-Mail
Thank you. I will call. Who should I speak with?

BrianL said:
It has been years since I looked at an Ampzilla and their
magic "proprietary" chip, which as stated was an off-the-shelf
transistor array.
If this chip is relyable, I don't mind replacing it with new ones. I just want to be sure that someone has not found a conventional retrofit for it.

Roger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.