high power, class a/b and, heavy metal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jeff mai said:

Both are maximum ratings - the first is an instantaneous peak rating, the other is RMS which is sort of an "average" maximum rating.

Electrically, Peak is 1.414x the RMS value. The RMS value is the work an AC signal would accomplish of an Equivalent DC voltage assuming the same load. So a 14.14v AC peak signal would do the same work as a 10v DC signal.

When it comes to speakers, different manufacturers have different definitions but it boils down to the duty cycle they use.

IIRC JBL used a duty cycle of a constant sinewave run continuously for 60 seconds then no signal for 120 secs and repeating this for 24-48 hours to arrive at an RMS value.

So a 600watt rated 2226H could burn out if you fed a 600w constant signal for over a few minutes.... on the other hand it could take spikes of a few thousand watts for a couple of secs.

(I remember the BOSE ;) ads for the 901 drivers saying they could take 4000watts per voice coil instantenously. As all their drivers were in series, that translates into 36000 watts. ;) However on an RMS rating, they said you could not used amplifiers above 350 or 400 watts.)

So just by varying the duty cycle you can come up with ratings that are 90 times each other.... :D

Yes, I will bi-amp the horns. Though there range cuts out at 18khz. For fun in an electronics class I had once, we tested our hearing range. I can't hear anything above about 18khz anyway. The current plan is to fix the 'zilla and drive them with it. 200wrms/8ohms.

The amps I wish to make will drive the 15's only! There range is 23hz-1500hz. I figure they should take that kind of power. 400/8 that is. It's clear that will be easier, if not cheaper to make than 500/8. I've run these on an M4.0T and they'll make some noise. But even that amp would clip when pushed hard.

That Carver was the most powerful amp I've used since I got the Pyle's. It was 375/8, though I dout it ever made that. It would clip before the loud knob was 75%. One of the goals with this project is to have an amp that will push hard for more than just a second or two. My question above about headroom was for that reason. I want power I can really use(tool man metallity)!

Roger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.