ilimzn-Question for you???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I forgot to ask you two more things about your amplifier you posted for me:

1. In text you attached with schematic you stated that amp can give me 60W of clean power.LAter on you were talking obout 120-140w.So,what is power of that amp with +/-42V one pair of IRFP240/9140(i just received 9140 today) on 4 ohms?

2.You were also talking about Q7,Q8,Q6 possible temperature problem.Can i replace Q6,Q7,Q8,Q10 with MJE340/350?Will amplifier get worse after that or will stay the same?

Thanks for your help.

P.S

How many have you build?Do they work in first shot?
Eade li iz prve bez nekih vecih problema.
Hvala na velikoj pomoci...

zox2003 said:
I forgot to ask you two more things about your amplifier you posted for me:

1. In text you attached with schematic you stated that amp can give me 60W of clean power.LAter on you were talking obout 120-140w.So,what is power of that amp with +/-42V one pair of IRFP240/9140(i just received 9140 today) on 4 ohms?

On it's own, assuming perfectly stiff 42V rails (meaning, no drop in voltage under 10A peak load), it will do 120-140WPC into 4 ohms.
It was originally designed to preoduce 60W into 8 ohms but be capable of driving difficult and low impedance loads, hence the capability to produce a lot more power into 4 ohms, BUT for this you need good power supplies.
Keep in mind that if you use an unregulated power supply, rails should never go over 50V (meaning under high AC condition (245V) and no load.
The reason why I said 60W clean power into 8 ohms, is that the 40-42V rails were originally form an unregulated supply, so rail sag was included in the calculation.

2.You were also talking about Q7,Q8,Q6 possible temperature problem.Can i replace Q6,Q7,Q8,Q10 with MJE340/350?Will amplifier get worse after that or will stay the same?

The reason for this is Q6, 7, 8 being small transistors, intended for 0.5W maximum heat disipation under ideal conditions (and they never are!), dissipating about 0.2W. They do get quite hot and will work fine under normal conditions, but if ventilation is not good or there are other hot things around, their lifetime will be shortened. A small heatsink would help (that's what i used), or a different transistor.
You could use MJE340/350 but the performance will degrade somewhat as the original transistors were chosen for high gain and Ft. BD139/140 would be better but then the power rails should never go over 40V, which is a limitation in your case.

How many have you build? Do they work in first shot?
Eade li iz prve bez nekih vecih problema.
Hvala na velikoj pomoci...

20 so far, in form of four 5 channel amps. All worked perfectly first time without any problems at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.