500 watt monoblock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
for 500W-8ohm-RMS you will need more than +/-100V idle rails. It's harder to find puffer-caps and output transistors to this voltage.

So let's bulid two 250W-4ohm-RMS amplifier, and bridge them!
This way you only need +/-61V rails. (2*43V trafo)

rinox said:
Edl.... excuse me but isn' t really good to bridge, beacause the really impedance viewed from bridged amply become an half of the real, so you must make an amplifier that will work without problems into 2 ohm or less... at this power is just painfull

In this case he wants to drive an 8 ohm speaker so each amp will only see 4 ohms which is not a particularly bad challenge. I agree with you if he wanted to drive a 4 ohm load though.

Thank you all!
I was thinking about a bridged pair. But would like to only build 2 amps.
They are for home use. Driving PylePro 15's @ 500wrms/750peak/8, horn loaded. A carver m400 and ampzilla II have both given up trying to drive them hard.
I thought 100+ rail voltage would be the case. The MJ15024/25 with MJ15030/31 drivers were an idea. I have used them as replacements in pro gear before.
I have all ways repaired or, modified gear. This is my first design plan. I'm just thinking about the outputs for now. Input and VAS will come after I know what it will take to make this kind of power.
Thanks again
Roger

RogerG said:
Thank you all!
I was thinking about a bridged pair. But would like to only build 2 amps.
They are for home use. Driving PylePro 15's @ 500wrms/750peak/8, horn loaded. A carver m400 and ampzilla II have both given up trying to drive them hard.
I thought 100+ rail voltage would be the case. The MJ15024/25 with MJ15030/31 drivers were an idea. I have used them as replacements in pro gear before.
I have all ways repaired or, modified gear. This is my first design plan. I'm just thinking about the outputs for now. Input and VAS will come after I know what it will take to make this kind of power.
Thanks again
Roger

sorry, I don' really speak english, so I don't understand your post. my question then is that now you would like to bulid two 250W/4ohm amps for bridging, or one 500W/8ohm amp?

regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.