500 watt monoblock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
K-amps said:

Edl is A-ok on his advice. You can get 400 watts 8 ohms and 650 watts 4 ohms using a 800va Transformer with 62-0-62 vac volt rating with 86 vdc rails. If you want some Toroids for this, i can direct you to some cost effective vendors in the US.

A 500va toroid will drop rails and you will end up with 300-350 watts depending. A 1kva toroid with 95% regulation will get you up to 430 watts into 8 ohms. (All 86vdc). Using 93vdc will get you 470 watts 8 ohms and 96vdc with 95% regulation will get you 500 watts 8 ohms, however you will not find many circuits out there for 96vdc rails.

1kva@86vdc sounds good enough for me! But will 14vdc(?) be enough headroom? If not, what should be changed? Also, how many output pairs will it take to give me sub-4ohm stability?

Any vendors you would deal with would be greatfully welcomed. There is one good shop here and of course the few that I've on the net. But I'm all ways open for a deal.

Roger

It's possible to do a 500W/8ohm amplifier using two 32-0-32 transformers in series for approx 95V rails.

I would use MOSFETS as there's no SEC breakdown whereas BJT's are in sec breakdown territory for most of the range! So you're getting more of the pkg rating. A purely nch MOSFET output could easily deliver this from 8 pairs/channel to drive 8 ohm of any phase angle.

The design could then be a simple discrete amp driven by a chip from LF356 to OPA627 depending on quality budget!

PA or Audiophile ? Simple and inexpensive.

Next

RogerG said:

1kva@86vdc sounds good enough for me! But will 14vdc(?) be enough headroom? If not, what should be changed? Also, how many output pairs will it take to give me sub-4ohm stability?

Any vendors you would deal with would be greatfully welcomed. There is one good shop here and of course the few that I've on the net. But I'm all ways open for a deal.

Roger

Headroom is another name for a "not so well regulated" power supply. So I am not sure I get your question.

K-amps said:

Headroom is another name for a "not so well regulated" power supply. So I am not sure I get your question.

AH! I do understand. Headroom is a common sales tool in high power amps. Carver(one of my favorites), touted it has a sign of high quality.

To Amplifierguru,
I liked your resent post about a/b class design. I've all ways been told layout has a large part in how an amp turns out. I'd love to hear more about your experience with this.

To Jeff,
"Sorry, I'll stop ****ing in your cornflakes."
I appolagize! I was a bit harsh, not to mention long winded. Please understand though, some of your post had just gotten under my skin.

Roger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.