Stereo amp and speakers for under AU$400?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is my first post, so "Hi" to all.

I am a newbie to DIY audio, but can operate a soldering iron and understand basic electronics. I have a Harmon Kardon AVR500 receiver, which has a multi-room feature. I'd like to use this to add a pair of speakers outside, but my budget is tight. How tight? $400 Australian is the goal, but I can stretch it a little if necessary.

I'll need the following:
  • Stereo class A/B amplifier (I think 70 to 80 W per channel should be enough as the back yard is fairly small, and most of the listening will be fairly clost to the speakers (correct me?))
  • A pair of full range 8 Ohm weather-resistant speakers (they will be under a verandah, which is fairly well sheltered)
  • Cabling and interconnects (I already have this)

From the research I've done on amplifiers, Elliot's p3a or p101 should be pretty good, and it looks like I should be able to build this for about $200 (correct me?).

I have read a couple of posts about outdoor speakers, but being a newbie, I'd appreciate any suggestions of specific drivers to use (preferably available in AU). I want to keep the speakers fairly compact (but not tiny), so I assume that a 2-way is the way to go.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or insights.

Apologies if this is slightly off topic.

Tim.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.