MOSFET Quasi Complimentary ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
N-channels rule!

Look in any catalogue and you will find seriously big N-channel Hexfets and IGBT's. Big enough to need bolts to attach the conductors. In contrast, P-channel devices wimp out comparitively early on the buahahaha scale. Super duper sized amplifiers (not necessarily audio) may well need to use a pair of N-channel devices for this reason.

GP.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I like to be agnostic about it, and I've made plenty of
money with both.

Bipolar are great if you are trying to get decent distortion
with a low bias AB amp. Home theater stuff is a good example.

Mosfets are the choice if you have high voltages and power,
or if you want simple Class A circuits. In general, they tend
to be easier to design with if you can afford lots of bias.

Here is a quasi-comp Mosfet power amp

Hi,

I just browsed my MJ mag articles and found a kaneda Power amp from 1999, which has both N-type Mosfets in the output stage. Though he drives them rather symmetrically, in my opinion.

regards,
Hartmut

Attachments

• kaneda99.jpg
    kaneda99.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,066
Nelson Pass said:
Properly designed, the Mosfets are a lot more rugged
since they don't have second breakdown at high
voltages. Your typical 250 watt Bipolar becomes a
wimpy 50 watt device at 150 volts. Not so with the
Mosfet.

MOSFET amps lose about 7 volts across the bias stage so unless you use a slightly higher voltage rail for the driver stage you lose a bit of power.

I designed a 450WRMS MOSFET power amp it has been very reliable for disco and guitar work.
I do tend to overdesign my amps with huge heatsinks and a pair of fans to keep it cool. It just never even gets warm.
I did find care has to be taken setting up the bias level and output DC offset voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.