Hiraga "le monstre" - Page 92 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2013, 11:22 AM   #911
Vostro is offline Vostro  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
It is very interesting, i saved the schematic.
Most of its japanese transistors are unobtainium nowadays I think but it shows well where they needed to compensate.
Do you know how high were the rails?
Here is the section showing more
The availability of transistors is sad these days, the amp is 2011 model.
Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vsup.jpg (110.3 KB, 710 views)

Last edited by Vostro; 15th April 2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 22nd May 2013, 02:17 PM   #912
diyAudio Member

I've gotten my boards designed and etched. Now, the fun part begins!

For power supply, I will be trying a capacitance multiplier, per Rod Elliot's design. I will be using large TO-3 darlingtons for the multiplier because I have some on-hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LeMonstreBoards1.JPG (137.3 KB, 601 views)
Old 22nd May 2013, 02:22 PM   #913
diyAudio Member

Default Monsterous absurdities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaxxaxxai View Post
The original supply is absurd.
How so?
Old 22nd May 2013, 02:45 PM   #914
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoglette View Post
How so?
Gigantic amount of capacitance for such a low power amp is absurd, in my opinion. I realize that ripple noise must be at an absolute minimum for good sound with this circuit, but when a more practical circuit can achieve the same ends, I see no value in investing $$$ and space in giant capacitors when they aren't needed. And RC pi circuit is such crude energy-wasting filter... would much rather try this capacitance multiplier.
Old 22nd May 2013, 03:00 PM   #915
diyAudio Member

Default Ripples in the pond

Quote:
Gigantic amount of capacitance for such a low power amp is absurd, in my opinion. I realize that ripple noise must be at an absolute minimum for good sound with this circuit,....... would much rather try this capacitance multiplier.
Hmm, I've just re-read the original articles (OK, an English translation, my French ain't what it used to be!). I had remembered much less capacitance on the battery powered version.

One of the recurring memes with class A designs is that their PSRR is usually pretty poor and much effort is spent cleaning up the PS.

I have a JLH in the house and am planning* two new power supplies: a) a battery based one and b) a choke input supply.

I'm particularly interested in whether the current "super" caps and large car (doof-doof) capacitors can help.

A capacitance multiplier sounds interesting if potentially introducing all sorts of signal related noise. Have fun!

(*Don't anyone hold your breath - it'll take a while before I get anywhere close to doing any work. What fool does post grad studies at my age?)
Old 22nd May 2013, 05:24 PM   #916
jeepy is offline jeepy  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Gigantic amount of capacitance for such a low power amp is absurd, in my opinion. I realize that ripple noise must be at an absolute minimum for good sound with this circuit, but when a more practical circuit can achieve the same ends, I see no value in investing $$$ and space in giant capacitors when they aren't needed. And RC pi circuit is such crude energy-wasting filter... would much rather try this capacitance multiplier.
To my opinion you should ear one Hiraga class A amp one day and I guess you would change your mind. The minimalist topology allows to do what an amp is supposed to do: modulate the voltage at the output in 'real time'.Therefore only ultra high capacitance passive PSU with ultra low ESR can do the job.
A 20W with 0.8A bias class needs 30 Amps! within a few picoseconds when requested. No choice then...
I have got enough original parts to build 5 or 6 amps on the shelf including the NEC 2sd688/2s627 and the TO-3P's for the 30W version. The only issue is the price of good caps! Transformer shoud be a C Core, even a good EI is OK.
The effect of the RC Pi filter on the sound can be discussed. An LC filter is another story. However one of the benefit is the ability to adjust the rail voltages.
Sorry for my approximate English, yes I am French, and also, I met Jean Hiraga a couple of times when I was living in Paris, afficionado of 'La Maison de l'Audiophile' during 15 years. Just my thoughts!
JP
Old 22nd May 2013, 07:54 PM   #917
diyAudio Member

Hi all
what is the purpose of the 2x 470uf caps on each channel of the le monstre ?

Sheafer
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:44 PM   #918
diyAudio Member

Provided that supply noise is filtered to a low enough level, I am certain Le Monstre built with a capacitance multiplier will sound good.
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:45 PM   #919
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slr 5000 View Post
Hi all
what is the purpose of the 2x 470uf caps on each channel of the le monstre ?

Sheafer
I'm assuming it is for the purpose of compensating for the inductance in the lead wires connecting the boards to the supply.
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:54 PM   #920
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Provided that supply noise is filtered to a low enough level, I am certain Le Monstre built with a capacitance multiplier will sound good.
I have built dozens of Le Monstre with capacitance multipliers supplies over the years. It's inevitable, however, to add considerable buffer capacities to their regulated outputs. They have been always much better than passive supplies with or without batteries.

Hide this!Advertise here!