Hiraga "Le Monstre"

As of today, I can boast that I also have a Le Monstre amplifier, currently in the JLH69 box and with its regulated, +/- 19V supply, current through the output transistors is 1A, transistors are 2SK170 / SJ74 + 2SC3324 / SA1312, 2SC3467 / SA1370 and output pair 2SC4467 / SA1694.
It works perfectly, I'm satisfied. The sound is great. It's not like my version of the JLH69, but I've been working on it for almost a year to perfection, I also need to give Le Monster a chance, I still have plenty of transistors to try, though it sounds great as well.

Great job!
Just a quick question: Since this amplifier is in my future plans, what PCB design did you use for your build?

Great job!
Just a quick question: Since this amplifier is in my future plans, what PCB design did you use for your build?

I do PCB design by myself, a true d.i.y. :)

in the first picture above is a PCB of JLH69, below is a PCB for Le Monstre

Attachments

• hi7.jpg
    hi7.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 516
  • hi3.jpg
    hi3.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 514
Did you get your problems sorted with the Serbian kit? I purchased on and the 5w, resistors run extremely hot and the voltage drop from the power supply seems excessive - from 12.6 volts when not hooked to the boards down to 6.8volts when running.

I don't know, I didn't see that KIT from Serbia, maybe something was wrong-fused on PCB or something was short-circuited or maybe it had some fake part. These are high currents when there is so much voltage drop, over 6A.
Put a picture of the PCB so we can see the transistors.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
hiraga sound problem

Hi all,
I build hiraga amp 2 channel using below schematic. Sound is good.
But last week i have issue for one channel.Sound like not enough power(hard to say,still have song).Another channel work excellent.

I measure at red point is -5.05V. Can somebody guide me to troubleshoot this amp?

One more question how to set bias this amp using trimmer?what value of trimmer pot ?

Thanks

Attachments

• hiraga.JPG
    hiraga.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 482
Hi "grunf"
Could I ask for some details of the regulator circuit that you used, and will it work for the 30W version?

I made this regulator for my version of the JLH69 amplifier.
The output voltage can be adjusted, tested at 4A, with a minimum voltage drop of 3 V. It is a high-current version of Walt Jung's superregulator.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/3075-jlh-10-watt-class-amplifier-563.html#post5972683

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/3075-jlh-10-watt-class-amplifier-580.html#post6050539

Attachments

• WJ REG. 2A 19V.png
    WJ REG. 2A 19V.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 578
You should go back to the original Hiraga Class A (low power version). This is over 30W and it was modified based on that.
Take a look at these schematics.
You get the idea of how many changes you need. I prefer the second schematic over the first. I built and tested both!

Attachments

• unnamed.gif
    unnamed.gif
    51.2 KB · Views: 490
  • hir20a.gif
    hir20a.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 506
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
You should go back to the original Hiraga Class A (low power version). This is over 30W and it was modified based on that.
Take a look at these schematics.
You get the idea of how many changes you need. I prefer the second schematic over the first. I built and tested both!

Oh no..difficult to me to modified.:(.
Some body can guide me?Can only change zener diode?

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Which resistor control bias?
There is not a single resistor which controls or set the bias, it is a compound circuit. When changing the value of the power rails, you better calculate everything again. But keep the first stage on the original lower (zener-) value. No need to change that (save the series resistor in value and dissipation).
Settings are mainy with the collector resistances.

Grunf
Nice work.
I see that you used ZLJ capacitors in Hiaraga and FC and KMG or some others at JLH. ZLJ are quite *dry* and little *light* e sounding compare to for example Muse ore Silmic . Also FC that you used at JLH are for my ears fuller and little rounded. If sound is little sharp than maybe try other caps.