Hiraga "le monstre" - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2009, 11:08 AM   #261
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to danieljw
Quote:
Originally posted by neazoi
I am glad you wish to make the battery version, that makes two of us

Before I print the PCBs I am trying to add the option to accept a precision trimmer for 1K too, in order to set the bias correctly. Audiomanics, if you could provide the pcb file it would be much easier than trying to edit the image.

http://www.eshops.gr/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=589
I think that is a good idea at first to get the bias 100% right, then (if necessary) replace the trimmer(s) with fixed value. the only thing is the trimmers need to track exactly so both bias resistance values are equal.

-Dan
Old 19th March 2009, 11:09 AM   #262
TzeYang is offline TzeYang  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

My friend wants me to build a relatively cheap speaker amplifier for his BR2 and I was wondering if the Hiraga Class A is up for the task.

It's 6 ohms and looks a bit demanding so to increase current output any changes such as paralleling output transistors I should consider?
Old 19th March 2009, 11:19 AM   #263
diyAudio Member

i would suggest not to modify the Le Monstre too much, it is designed for high efficiency speakers are the BR2 high eff. ??

-Dan
Old 19th March 2009, 12:24 PM   #264
neazoi is offline neazoi  Greece
diyAudio Member

TzeYang,
Despite of it's simplicity, this can not be considered a cheap amplifier. Finding these odd transistors and FETs, aquiring the big heatsinc and capacitors used, even buying the batteries (if you select this mode), all these are expensive. The resuld with bad quality components may not be as good.

I suggest, If you need something cheap you may try some of these class AB kits available on commerce.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:27 PM   #265
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by danieljw

I think that is a good idea at first to get the bias 100% right, then (if necessary) replace the trimmer(s) with fixed value. the only thing is the trimmers need to track exactly so both bias resistance values are equal.

-Dan

You are right, modifying the PCB for that won't be necessary as you need dual gang pontentiometers, because the value must be equal on both 1k bias resistors in each channel. If you need you could just connect two wires and a dual gang pontentiometer at the place of 1Ks...
Old 19th March 2009, 03:21 PM   #266
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TzeYang
My friend wants me to build a relatively cheap speaker amplifier for his BR2 and I was wondering if the Hiraga Class A is up for the task.

It's 6 ohms and looks a bit demanding so to increase current output any changes such as paralleling output transistors I should consider?
Why not hava a darlington output stage using SC4793/SA1837 as drivers and sc5200/SA1943 as output transistors? Just fire up LTSpice.
Old 19th March 2009, 09:06 PM   #267
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Audiomanics, if you could provide the pcb file it would be much easier than trying to edit the image.
Yes, i could and i will.. But can you handle Malz++Kassner CAD6 files? As i draw the entire PCB by hand, all soldering-eyes, lines and components are drawn from scratch, so no "self-always-wrong-thinking" PCB program for me..
I tried to find a emailaddress on your site, but for me that's unreadable..

Kees
Old 19th March 2009, 09:30 PM   #268
diyAudio Member

can you attach them here for the others to see too? if not try www.neazoi.com or www.microwave.gr this is my other sites
Old 19th March 2009, 10:13 PM   #269
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nelsonvandal

Why not hava a darlington output stage using SC4793/SA1837 as drivers and sc5200/SA1943 as output transistors? Just fire up LTSpice.
just looked at the datasheets

they look good..... 20/30pF 100/70MHz Ft.....

-Dan
Old 19th March 2009, 10:15 PM   #270
diyAudio Member

Quote:

You are right, modifying the PCB for that won't be necessary as you need dual gang pontentiometers, because the value must be equal on both 1k bias resistors in each channel. If you need you could just connect two wires and a dual gang pontentiometer at the place of 1Ks...
previously i have started with the initial bias resistance value then soldered alligator clip leads to a dual gang pot to deacrease the resistance value... then turn the amp off remove pot/resistors measure and replace with fixed.... takes a little while but works well

-Dan

Hide this!Advertise here!