Hiraga "Le Monstre"

sorry bout that

Attachments

• audio 12-1984 005.jpg
    audio 12-1984 005.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,127
Hiraga says:

Following the article in Issue 29, many readers have asked if, in the "Monster" ver­sion, the mains supply was used only to charge the two large 40 A/h batteries. In fact, two modes of use are possible. The batteries can be used as the only power supply source, but take heed, the endurance hardly exceeds a few hours, lead-acid batteries are sensitive to deep discharges and their lifespan depends on this, so 12.2V is a lower limit that, above all, should not be exceeded. The second mode, which is the one that which we most usually employ, consists of using the batteries only as a buffer, with the mains charging the power supply permanently. Of course, in this solution, the power supply noise rises considerably, by 30 to 40 dB. However, in spite of this, the Monster remains an amplifier without rival, even if it loses in "luminosity" compared to its operation on batteries and without a mains supply.

Does it mean I can use only batteries for power supply?
In this case do I need to connect parallel to the batteries the big and smaller capacitors or just the batteries should be sound perfect?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Neazoi,

Perhaps look at it this way,

you will need something to charge the batteries correct ?

if yes then why not build the supply with capacitors to charge the batteries and then you can use it in both "modes"

- if you have two 80AH lead acid batteries then you are half way there.

have you seen the pictures of the completed (original) amplifier ?

-Dan

yes I have seen them. the third configuration seems to be the best. http://neazoi.com/page/audio/monstre/monstre.htm

I am thinking of using his configuration, but the question is, in battery only mode, do I need the capacitors after the pi-filter or the batteries themselves are sufficient?
(I consider the power that will be instantaneously drawn by the amplifier in sharp music volumes. capacitors can provide full instantaneous power)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
i have also thought about this question....

i look at it this way:

Lead acid batteries in 50-100AH range are available with 100-1000 micro Ohm internal resistance.

typical large (ELNA - respected brand) electrolytics
ref: http://www.elna.co.jp/en/capacitor/alumi/catalog/index.html

are around 0.014 Ohm ESR (68000/16V),
three in parallell would be ~0.005 Ohms (ESR) for the 6 cap bank shown...

so 5 milli Ohms compared with 0.1-1 milli Ohms.... would suggest the
battery option has better transient performance. - if you select the correct battery.

-Dan

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I just typed a huge rant about batteries supplies cel voltage etc etc etc

but i deleted because i lost my train of thought. so here is another one:

what it comes down to is if you want to listen to the amp for more than a 2-4h then you will need a bigger battery. or a mains supply.

the capacitors and inductors form a very large filter with a very low frequency roll off. 68000uf x 6(3 per rail) with 0.5 Ohm is something like 1.56Hz add the other caps and its even lower. this is used to filter the hum from the main supply which is there to support the batteries for a longer listening time.

if some one has actually heard a full battery "le monstre" please let us know what you thought ? for the most part i can only go on the listening critiques in l'audiophile magazine.

i can only personally comment on the le monstre i built which to my ear sounded very good - perhaps the best i amplifier i have heard. despite its low power.

i used a reg supply and >120000uF per rail of capacitance *after the regulators. and in my setup at the time the hiss/hum was inaudible with the input muted.

when you plugged in a cd player with your ear pressed against the tweeter you could hear the cd players power supply noise floor.

Neazoi, maybe build the amp and use the batteries to test it first and see your results so you can at least listen to the amp.
then over time add capacitance if you hear the need for it then you can comment on how it performs and sounds with the added supply componenets

sorry for the massive post

i hope it helps not confuses.

-Dan