How to figure out unknown amp wattage???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My uncle gave me a power amp he built from a kit ages ago.

It's 3u 19 inch rack mountable,pretty heavy and has 2 very huge capacitors,4x Hitachi mosfet transistors and a large torridal transformer plus other components.

How can I figure out how many watts in rms it gives???

Per channel there are two metal mosfet transistors.
Hitachi J50 [japan 4J2] protected by 3.5 amp fuse and Hitachi K133 [japan 4H1] protected by 9.5 amp fuse.

So could you tell me how much power in rms per channel and @ what ohms it gives it??

Also the torridal transformer sadly has a tiny piece of the insulation [about a few mm hole] on one of the secondary windings[exposing the copper wire itself]. Can I repair this without replacing the transformer instead???

:att'n: :att'n:

So I recon its btw 100w-200w per channel.

:)

But how can I repair the torridal transformer??? its got a nick in one of the turns of the insulation on the secondary winding exposing a few mm of copper wire.

I was thinking heat shrinking but I don't wanna unwind the whole transformer. Or electrical tape maybe.... Its not high voltage but can still cause a short maybe.

If its a kit from the UK with the J50 and SK135 then pennies to a pound of salt its the good old Maplin 150W mosfet modules (see below).
These were optimistically rated at 100W @ 8Ohm and 150W max @ 4Ohms with a max supply of 55-0-55v.

If the transformer windings still have the enamel (spelling?) intact on them then I would not worry to much, just tape it up.

Attachments

• mosfet.jpg
    mosfet.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 186
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.