How do you make up your mind while choosing a quality power amplifier? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2002, 07:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question How do you make up your mind while choosing a quality power amplifier?

Hi,

What will be, in your opinion, the “best” amplifier to be used for either studio or sound reinforcement?

What are you impressed by?

How important numbers are?

Without listening at it, how will you know if this amplifier will have a great sound (if you think that numbers are not important)?

If numbers are important, what are the most significant numbers (and why are they)?

Thank you for your opinion.

Best regards

Yuri GUTSATZ Jr.
www.pssaudio.com
Old 24th August 2002, 12:34 PM   #2
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Smile Litening Test

Hi Yuri,
I have only one criterion and that is how the amplifier <B>SOUNDS</B> in my system!
Old 24th August 2002, 02:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default System Listening Test

Quote:
Originally posted by Elso Kwak
Hi Yuri, I have only one criterion and that is how the amplifier <B>SOUNDS</B> in my system!
Elso, my criterion is how the SYSTEM sounds with 'that' amplifier. - sort of similar thing.

Eric.
Old 25th August 2002, 02:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to NU_NRG
PSS AUDIO

taking over this forum?
trying to probe us?
promoting your amps?

feel free to answer!!

Old 25th August 2002, 03:03 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: How do you make up your mind while choosing a quality power amplifier?

Quote:
Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
What will be, in your opinion, the “best” amplifier to be used for either studio or sound reinforcement?
For sound reinforcement, i'd go with something i know sounds good, is close to bulletproof, and is easy to fix if it does break -- Bryston.

for studio work there is more flexibility. Probably a combo of SS & Tubes, choosen to match the speakers (multi-amped) and sound good.

Quote:
What it sounds like.

Quote:
How important numbers are?
Sometimes the numbers will give you an idea. The problem is that often the numbers do not correlate to real world. For instance, without knowing the distribution of harmonics, a single number for harmonic distortion is useless, and often a number that is lower means an amp that doesn'tsound as good.

Quote:
Without listening at it, how will you know if this amplifier will have a great sound (if you think that numbers are not important)?
You can't.

Quote:
If numbers are important, what are the most significant numbers (and why are they)?
The typical numbers given out are usually not significant. For instance, power is rated RMS into 8 ohms. But what does the amp do into a real speaker -- i have experienced 200 W amps that audibly clip before 20 W amps. But a number like full power into an 8 ohm load in parallel with a 2 uF cap is a good sign that the manufacturer is thinking about stability so that is one that would give you an idea.

dave
Old 25th August 2002, 05:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: How do you make up your mind while choosing a quality power amplifier?

Quote:
Originally posted by PSS AUDIO

I look at the top cover. If I can stand on it and it doesn't bend under my weight, I have every reason to believe that the amp is build solidly and it may sound good as well. But it's just me.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 25th August 2002, 05:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I also look at the number of output devices and the amount of Black Gate caps. Here is a good example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg krell.jpg (72.9 KB, 1009 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 25th August 2002, 06:06 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
Here is a good example.
Has that been built or is it still just a computer graphic? (a pretty good one too).

dave
Old 25th August 2002, 06:09 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Re: How do you make up your mind while choosing a quality power amplifier?

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
I look at the top cover. If I can stand on it and it doesn't bend under my weight, I have every reason to believe that the amp is build solidly and it may sound good as well. But it's just me.
Do you test tube amps the same? Be kinda messy :^)

dave
Old 25th August 2002, 06:14 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

The amp I posted is Master Reference Amplifier from Krell.

And I never tested tube equipment yet.

Hide this!Advertise here!