Pictures of my amp (not nearly complete) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2002, 06:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pictures of my amp (not nearly complete)

This is what I have accomplished so far with my amp. I have the channels running, but the cooling block, transformer, fans, bridge, and filter caps are not yet mounted (but I would bet they will be tomorrow). Also, the mains wiring and plumbing are not yet complete. The two Leach amps seen here are only two of the 6 channels the amp will have upon completion. I'm still waiting for some ordered parts in order to complete those channels, which are partially of my own design, but are heavily based on ESP Project 3A. They will have +/-35V supply (separate transformer) and will be capable of about 200W (but I'm thinking of using 2N5686/2N56484 on two of them to really get some power into low impedances). The boards for these measure about 2" x 5", and will be mounted on another cooling block in front of the Leach amps. Their incompletion is the main reason why so little progress has been made, I really wish my parts would hurry up. That, and I have been working on my speaker boxes and also dabbling in some other most interesting things (high energy pulses, I got a defibrillator capacitor and some other large caps the other day, but am still working on a good way to switch 25kA @ 6kV ).

The front and top panels of the amp are made of a very shiny silver anodized aluminum. The front pannel includes a power switch, master volume, levels for bass, mid, and trebble, recessed levels for each channel, stereo/mono/left mono/right mono, balance, input selector, clipping and power lights, 1/4" headphone jack, (hopefully) VU/PPM meters, and maybe anything else anyone can think of. There will also be the capability to switch defferent channels around to different active crossover outputs, and these outputs will also have RCA plugs on the back. Total RMS power output from this amp could easily exceed 1kW, but it will never do anywhere near that for the speaker system I'm building now. There should always be room for upgrades though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0009.jpg (94.0 KB, 2049 views)
- "With power amplifiers, negative feedback is a good thing, and positive feedback can induce destructive oscillation, but with people, positive feedback is a good thing, and negative feedback can induce destructive oscillation"
Old 24th August 2002, 07:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Leach Amp cooling block
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0017.jpg (33.2 KB, 1976 views)
- "With power amplifiers, negative feedback is a good thing, and positive feedback can induce destructive oscillation, but with people, positive feedback is a good thing, and negative feedback can induce destructive oscillation"
Old 24th August 2002, 12:43 PM   #3
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

Neat-o. That is some monster piping in the water blocks. You've probably mentioned this before, but what did those come out of?
Old 25th August 2002, 03:08 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm not really sure what those square pipes were originally used for, but I might guess some sort of frame. I got them from the recycling place (great place for bargain shopping ) from their selection of scrap aluminum. They are about 1 1/4" square (as you might guess) and at least 1/8" thick. They have all different sizes up to really big ones like what I'm mounting my TO-247s on for the big amp. I also got the heater cores there. The clear vinyl tubing and elbows are standard equipment from the hardware store, and the pump is a 500GPH from Petsmart.

The ends of the pipes are just thin aluminum (about 1mm) glued on to the ends with epoxy, and there is a coiled up aluminum wire inside the pipes to cause turbulence, increasing the efficiency of the cooling system.
Old 25th August 2002, 03:29 AM   #5
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
DUde your nuts that is like super cooling haha your gong to need a fork lift to move your amp around..

i bet it will be a good soundin one ..

..j'
Old 25th August 2002, 05:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Naaa, the two transformers together weigh about 45lbs, and that's the biggest part of the weight. It'll be heavy, but I bet not more than 100lbs even when it's full.

Yeah, that's a lot of cooling, but the devices should last a really long time, and less heating = less derating = more power. The thermostat that turns on the pump and fans will close at only about 55C. I might go higher if I find the noise too loud.
Old 28th August 2002, 04:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Here's the block for the other 4 amps that I made a few days ago (but the plumbing isn't done) next to the Leach amp block, and one of the boards, which I'm still waiting for parts for. It's a CF design, the Vbias transistor will mount on a common heatsink that the drivers will mount to. There's no use putting this on yet, because it will come up over the board where I still need to solder some other stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0025.jpg (93.0 KB, 1620 views)
Old 28th August 2002, 05:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Looks cool Kilowatt.
But will the amp keep cool ??

How does the rest of the cooling system look like ?

grtz

Simon
Old 28th August 2002, 10:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Like the picture at the top of the thread. You can see all the major components in it. Water will be pumped through the blocks in parallel, and through two 6" x 8" automotive heater cores in series by a 500GPH pump. Behind each heater core is a 4 1/2" cooling fan (they're nothing extreme, maybe I'll have to get more powerful ones). There will be a sort of shroud around each fan and heater core so that the air can go through the entire heater core, but nowhere else. Schematically, it would look like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooler.jpg (43.7 KB, 1401 views)
Old 29th August 2002, 05:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Very nice!

You attached the plate aluminum to the square tubing the same way, with epoxy?

My brother claims he can get some square copper, so I might try that ... soldering would be easy and fairly secure.

Are these square pipes thicker than say the ones at Home Depot?

Hide this!Advertise here!