Sony V-FET TA-8650::: sound goes "in and out" - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2013, 03:55 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean roberts View Post
Well I have to say I was really happy to read that you have a pair of Yamaha NS-1000's I assume all black with YAMAHA in silver on the front baffle !
It's always nice to share some fresh discussion with someone that appreciates these amps like I do.

Yea those would be the ones. I've had mine for about 15 years now. I got them because the bass panel SPL on my ESL's was starting to fade. At this point given how well the NS-1KM's work with these V-FET amps I'm not sure I'll get around to the rebuild for another 15 years (assuming I live that long). IMHO Yamaha was doing their best work when they introduced the audio world to V-FET's and Beryllium dome drivers.

We're so lucky here in NA in that prices are very reasonable on this gear as compared to the rest of the world.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FET Be Ad 01.jpg (906.7 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by Yamahear; 30th March 2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Added attachment
Old 31st March 2013, 12:05 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Well my friend , I don't think the NS 1000's will ever need a rebuild !! They are totally bullet proof , and they can handle heaps of power too ! Yes in NA thinga are much easier to get and prices are much better than here in Australia , however the V=FETS still seem to hold their prices in both countries , I am hoping however I don't have any problems as parts are very hard to get these days , so I use MONSTER surge protectors on all the gear , just for safety's sake . To date the amp has never failed , and other than a sticky mute switch , thats been it , just proves how reliable they are ! It's approaching 38 years old too !
Old 31st March 2013, 01:12 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Triple J , I see you are in Australia , [ $4,300aud ?] !
Hi Sean, Yes I'm Sydney. I'll keep a look out for one of these units in the usual places.. As long as the O/P stage was OK I'm sure I could sort the rest out one way or another. Please feel free to PM me if you happen to spot one! .
Old 31st March 2013, 02:49 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default to Tripple J

I will definately keep an eye out for an 8650 , and will contact you if one comes up . The o/p stages on these are very reliable , much more so than the 4650 and 5650 v-fets , the cooling chimney is much larger , and infact has 4 of them , if any problems arise , it's usually switching related , my own amp was running on one channel when I first got it , and after much mucking around cleaning , I just flicked the MUTE switch a couple of times , and Presto ! It all began to work out of both channels and hasn't missed a beat since . Switches can oxidise if they aren't used occassionally , just to keep the contacts clean if nothing else , I regularly just go through all the switching to keep everything working as it should . These amps are almost always left in "direct mode" as the cleanest sound is by by passing any tone control switches , its suttle , but it does make a difference on high quality discs or records . Don;t worry about the high levels of heat some of these can put out , I have had 3 of them over the years , the first two literally fried , but always sounded amazing , they never gave a moments problem , the current 8650 , funnily , runs warm , not hot , but it still sounds awesome . I would also recommend to keep one going inndefinately , use a good quality anti surge cube like MONSTER , to remove and noise or spike thru voltage variations , it makes a huge difference to the sound , you end up with zero background noise , and that improves your signal to noise , and makes life easier for the amp , the fact mine is now 38 years old and sounds as good as the day I bought my first one , and with zero problems , speaks volumes for the quality of the product in the first place . It's no wonder they are again in demand , thats only because of their incredible sound !
Old 31st March 2013, 10:51 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's approaching 38 years old too !
With that said if it were mine I'd replace all of the small e-caps with new low ESR 105C ones, regrease the outputs and any other heat sunk parts, and check and adjust the bias and offset as well as any power supply adjustments; your TA-8650 will love you for it and reward you with many more years of good service.
Old 31st March 2013, 10:58 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thats a good Idea , I was seriously thinking of replacing the caps too , I am just amazed the Amp has survived so long , and it's running beautifull at the moment , but you are right , to preserve it I will do as you say ...Thanks mate !
Old 31st March 2013, 11:05 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sony VFETs.jpg (134.1 KB, 120 views)
Old 19th April 2013, 06:23 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Sony TA-8650

Sean,

I have an offer for you, Sean...Please reply to

bhootnut@yahoo.com

Rgds,
andrey.
Old 20th April 2013, 08:27 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Dear Yamahear , it's great to see another V-FET enthusiast , whether it's Sony or Yamaha , they are both premuim products in their day , I was fortunate to be able to be around during the Accuphase / Harmon Kardon / Phase Linear years , I worked in Running a Hi Fi specialiast shop , and I had lots of opportunities to compare amps , both integrated and Seperates thru our Celestion /Mission / Dalquist dq-10's and Quads , KEF's ect , and I always went back to the V-fet sound I have again . I did at one stage have a Yamaha c-1 and b-2 power amp , I recall that combo as another of my favourites ! I did find however that V-fets don't like Electrostatics [ Quads ] and It was difficult to get a full bodied sound out of the Dalquists , I prefered the big Celestions in those days , now I use JBL s310 mk 2's , not the best , but fine for me , I am not a stereo snob , I always give good gear a chance !
Old 6th September 2013, 04:32 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

An update on my TA 8650 V=FET Sony amp , It is still running perfectly , I did have a few hiccups when I first bought it back into service , [ no or intermittent left channel , and a rustling sound through this channel for up to 1 minute after firing it up , I cleaned every switch I could get at , and found the MUTE switch the problem , I used contact cleaner , and the amp is as quite as a church mouse , zero background noise , awesome dynamic range , especially on GRP or TELARC doscs , I honestly have heard so much grunt out of any 80 watt RMS amp ever before , not only that but the bottom end , smoothness and detail still flabbergasts me , and this is a 35 year old [ or there abouts amp ] and it manages to blow many much more powerful amps to the weeds . The V-FET Transistors used in the 8650 are reckoned to be the best audio transistors ever developed , if you can find one of these amps , beware they can run super hot , I found this with my initial 3 amps [ I ran a HI FI shop at the time ] I sold them to customers , the current one actually from an otrigonal owner I sold it too about 35 years ago , runs cool, and I use it every day , it seems to run much sweeter using it regularly , a very valve like sound the lots of detail , smoothness , and earth shaking bottom end when it's on the disc , I was amazed how grunty my old Fleetwood Mac disc sounded , [ like it was recorded yesterday in digital , so I am a totally confirmed Sony V-FET proponennt , shame they don't make amps like this anymore ! Sean Roberts

Hide this!Advertise here!