Diamond Output buffer eats trannies (thermal)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Andypairo said:
Hi Chris,
I will try to simulate how much does current in the input stage change at loud levels (20Vrms), to see if they do get starved.

As I supposed even a 20V signal doesn't change that much the current of the input bjts (fluctuation is less than 20uA and they have nearly 2.5 mA)

Will try replacing with matched ones.

Cheers

Andrea

Listening session

I had a brief listening session and I am pleasantly surprised from how it sounds.

At first glance it doesn't impress much but then you find yourself listening to things you never noticed before.
Choirs seem much less spatially compressed and different voices singing together are now more recognizable. There is also a very enjoyable sense of rythm.

It sounds pretty different to what I am used to, in a few days I will be able to give more impressions.

Cheers

Andrea

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrea,
Do you mean that it doesn't handle large signals well (or just that the difference form a "normal" amp is smaller?
I found it was an odd effect. Almost like it was current limiting dynamically. This occurred with heavy dynamics. Otherwise it was very fast with incredible detail.

SY got a chance to listen to it briefly while it was grafted into a Counterpoint SA-100 chassis and voltage amp stage. I'm still not happy with the combination although the power diamond buffer shows some promise.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrea,
Think of a standard diamond buffer. Use a darlington connection at both ends with speedup resistors (also increases current in the input transistors). Each polarity output is a matched pair also. I find that adding more output pairs cuts down on delta I and sounds better. The bias level is around 100 mA per output device. The standard resistor position is using a current source with red LED bias.

The input impedance is very high and can be driven with a tube follower easily. Clamp diodes to each rail comprise the protection for the input. It's capacitively coupled with a relay shorting the input to the buffer until the tubes settle down.

Performance also suffers at lower load impedances. I've run it into 2 ohms.

And then, with heavy dynamics you mean loud listening levels (power?)
Yes.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Andrea,
My schematic is a moving target as I mess with it. Nothing secret and very basic. It is as I described. My rails for experimental purposes right now run from 35 VDC to 50 VDC. Once I have something I like it will be expanded to a 70 ~ 80 VDC version as well.

I don't have anything drawn up in an electronic format for it.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.