tripping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys newbie here was wonderin if anybody could help me, i dont even know if this is in the right section, i`ve got a citronic ppx-900 amplifier which trips the mains sometimes when you switch it on, if it doesn`t trip the mains it works fine, whats causing this? is it the inrush of power on initial turn on thats causin the trip, is the amp safe to use? any help wold be much appreciated:)

Jan if the PSU has bleeder's does it really matter? I mean unless he Re-powers in a couple of secs, chances are the caps are discharged (assuming the designer had enough sense to install bleeders...;) )

If I were to guess, you need a softstart... again you need to investigate, I do not know the size of your amp's PSU nor am I aware of the wiring at your home.

Try switching on with a 250 to 500 watt bulb in series with the mains of the amp, if it still trips.... get a new house.

K-amps:
As I see the problem, I don´t think they have designed the ppx-900 so it has fail trips ;) As to my knowledge, they build very reliable amps.....

What I ment was that if one of the big caps in the supply has gone bad, it could trigger a much higher inrush current than normal!! The reason I mention this is, that I have experienced this my self on an old NAD amp
;)

You need a softstart... as to the exact value, that would depend on the size of the PSU. If you have some CL-60's lying around, you cound try one or 2 series/ paralell to your liking. Other better (more complex) solutions exist but a Thermistor will take up no noticable space in your amp.

Jan, sell the NAD. :D

If you are not experienced in constructing circuits and working with mains voltage, leave well enough alone as one wrong move could have you dead/house burnt down etc.

If you are, then a circuit like Rod Elliot's P39 will do the job nicely. You could easily put this in a little box with an IEC socket for plugging your amp into. You would leave your amp's power switch on, and then turn the amp on and off via the soft start unit.

Hmm, recommending soft starts is all well and good but may simply be covering up a problem that will only get worse. I find it hard to believe that Citronic would make a big power amp that doesn't have inrush protection or at least is prone to tripping breakers. This would simply not be acceptable in the professional world that Citronic lives in, and they would have enough experience to know this.

First we need to know what he means by it trips the electric -- if he means an RCD type trip then that indicates that there could be an earth fault with the equipment. If he means an overcurrent trip then it could be as Jan said a cap on it's way out. If either of these situations is right then simply adding a soft start will be downright dangerous in the first case, and not solving the real problem in the second case.

Has this piece of equipment been Portable Appliance Tested (PAT) recently?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.