Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2005, 06:04 PM   #11
Giaime is offline Giaime  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Giaime
Why "customs"? They're currently being manufactured...
Old 28th March 2005, 08:31 PM   #12
Gasho is offline Gasho  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Giaime
Why "customs"? They're currently being manufactured...
Becouse they are made special for Classe . I am not shure but I think they are made with some mods in makeing process , with better care , ticker electrodes inside semiconductive substrat..

That is not rare thing in high end. Krell also use its own custom transistors with Krell logo on housing, and a lots of other top brands.

With caps and resistors is the same thing , that is why DIY clones never sounds the same as originals.
Old 28th March 2005, 08:36 PM   #13
K-amps is offline K-amps  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gasho
Becouse they are made special for Classe . I am not shure but I think they are made with some mods in makeing process , with better care , ticker electrodes inside semiconductive substrat..

That is not rare thing in high end. Krell also use its own custom transistors with Krell logo on housing, and a lots of other top brands.

With caps and resistors is the same thing , that is why DIY clones never sounds the same as originals.

In Krell's case, they are supposedly fully custom, hence no sub exists, closest are probably 21195/06 but they are slower. The krell parts are 30Mhz. In Classe's case, are they MJ15003/4 relabelled? If not, they are really not MJ15003/4... are they?
Old 28th March 2005, 08:41 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Here is sheme
Attached Images
File Type: jpg classe_dr-9schematic.jpg (97.1 KB, 972 views)
Old 28th March 2005, 08:57 PM   #15
K-amps is offline K-amps  United States
diyAudio Member

Maybe I missing something. It clearly says MJ15003/4, why is that custom? Perhaps you meant "selected" devices?
Old 28th March 2005, 09:23 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by K-amps
Maybe I missing something. It clearly says MJ15003/4, why is that custom? Perhaps you meant "selected" devices?
They are MJ 15003/4 with same electrical parameters , but they are more robust , linear , higher quality than off shelf ones. Offcourse the are hand mached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg classe-dr-8-right-channel.jpg (95.9 KB, 806 views)
Old 28th March 2005, 09:35 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Custom made ? No, they are standard devices, only selected at closer tolerances, which is not problem for manufacturer , only you must take minimal ten thousand of pieces . And marking is in this case the last thing, which make this manufacturer extaordinary .
Old 29th March 2005, 12:52 AM   #18
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

So many times it's just a "house number". Remember the 60's and 70's when this type of thing was common? Almost everyone did it. Sometimes the leads were longer (Bryston), but I wouldn't call it a better device.

When manufacturing, the device tolerances are closer due to the volumes you get. Today the tolerances are much closer in a lot.

-Chris
Old 29th March 2005, 05:51 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally posted by Gasho
Because they are made special for Classe
With caps and resistors is the same thing
Be aware that audio is only a small portion of electronics.
Only Japanese companies have the connections to have components custom order made.
Or companies as Philips who are/were both in the audio business as well as components production.
I owned one of the first-model CD-players, the Philips CD100(1983). The all-alloy CDM1 unit was used solely for top range Philips CD-players for a number of years. Later Philips sold the units to HighEnd CD-player manufacturers. Philips has not competed at the top of the CD-player market for a long time, the CDM units are still manufactured for others.
Companies as Krell and Classe are just small fish, at best they can have components labelled differently.
In the past Krell ordered Mallory capacitors with a Krell label, the capacitors still had the factory coding.
The components themselves are regular close-tolerance production models, final selection of active parts the companies need do themselves.
Mark Levinson used his "girlfriend" to select the thousands of transistors he needed for his Cello amplifiers.
Audio companies have been speaking cockamania BS about custom components for a long time, and still do in their model brochures, and people are still buying their stories.
Classe in the 80s looked like DIY copies, the components they used were the same used here in the DIY scene: Philips, Wima, etc. In the DR3VHC i owned, and as the pic of the DR9 shows.
Some small companies used to sand factory labels off the components and spray a color on them to make them look custom.
Old 29th March 2005, 07:32 AM   #20
Account Disabled

I have used MJ15003/4 in commercial designs since 1974 - P.A. and in Class A High End and doubt very much that the audio manufacturers' ones have any special features except for matching or gain (beta). Putting their own name is for commercial reasons mostly so you need to source replacements from them.

Incidentally the Classe design appears pretty ordinary fare with capacitor coupling, undegenerated input pair and CE output.

Hide this!Advertise here!